No. of Recommendations: 4
This is the most interesting news I have read in a long time. In America many conservatives feel that labor unions bankrupted Detroit and sighed with relief when labor unions in America went into decline. In Germany workers have the right to be represented in management decisions and the German car industry is prosperous. But there is a fundamental difference between American and German workers in their attitude towards their employers and their jobs. German workers, it seems, long for security above all else sacrificing improving standards of living (pay raises) while the American workers prefer instant gratification. By the fate of Detroit vs. German car production centers it would seem that the German model works better. BTW, there are a huge number of robots in German car factories which is the opposite of featherbedding that has been so prevalent in American labor relations.

It seems as if in Germany labor relations are more labor-management team work than labor and management teams clashing.

Would union cost Tennessee VW plant a new line? Senator and automaker at odds
Sen. Bob Corker is trying to convince workers at VW's assembly plant in Tennessee that a vote to unionize could cost them the manufacturing line for a new vehicle. VW says that's not the case.
By Mark Guarino
11 hours ago

German automaker Volkswagen is finding itself in the unusual position of having to answer to critics who say the company should oppose efforts by the United Auto Workers to unionize its Chattanooga, Tenn., assembly plant. If successful, it would be the first unionized automotive assembly plant in the South.

http://news.yahoo.com/union-cost-tennessee-vw-plant-line-sen...

Denny Schlesinger

I've taken an interest in Germany lately because I'm planning on visiting my country of birth for the first time in 50 years and Berlin first time ever since we left when I was a baby.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.