Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
getting a 1099-R should prompt you that you probably need to do something on your tax form with it. For a qualified Roth distribution, that something is to create the 8606.

Yes, agreed. It is always best to do what is right and not tempt fate with the IRS. I was just wondering if what might have kept the IRS happy is that the 1099-R specified the distribution wasn't taxable.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.