Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,
I'm new on this board. (Should I be asking somewhere else too?) Turning 66 this summer. My BF (three months older) is retiring soon, and his reasons make sense to me. I was thinking of working till age 70 till I heard this, but now I want to get a sense of whether I can do the same. Or at least do it when I'm 68, maybe.
But how can I get reliable advice (and not have my boss thinking I want to retire ASAP and give me a shove in that direction)? I don't really know anyone I can ask.
The idea of us both being retired might be OK.
But there is stuff that has me wondering.
Like, would it help if he married me. (Aside from that, I think it would be cool.)
And there is the question of being able to make ends meet. For both of us together, and for in case I outlive him. I was really struggling, living paycheck to paycheck until I went back to school in my late 30s and changed careers. So my Social Security check won't be that big, and I haven't saved enough up. I will get a pension from this employer, the size of which depends on the number of years I've worked.
Maybe more important, at my job I feel like I'm part of something. I'm afraid that when I retire, I'd be bored out of my mind. Frankly, if I was told I *had* to retire right now, I'd be inclined to turn right around and apply for a job with the census.
Ideas?

TIA,
Paint
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.