Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
BIG changes are on the horizon for DH and I, and I'm hoping the folks here can help me put some of my financial house in better order.

We finally got all of our credit cards paid off in December! The day after I sent the final payment we learned that I'm pregnant! *gulp*

Basic financial picture:

Debts:
Credit Card debt: $0!
DH Student loan #1 - ~$42,000 @ 2.75%
DH Student loan #2 - $2,700 @ ~9%
Legal fees from DH's divorce - $500/mo. until Oct. '07 ($3,500 remaining) @ 0%
"Property Settlement" from DH's divorce - $1,000/mo. until Jan 2010 @ 0%

Savings:
Currently $3,500, growing at a minimum of $1500/mo.
My retirement - ~$70,000 combined, all 100% vested later this year
DH's retirement - $9,000 (judge made him give his entire retirement to his ex., and this is all he's been able to build up so far. don't get divorced in Iowa, kids)

Upcoming expenses:
home repair - $1,000 (will be paid in cash)
"new" car - budgeting $10,000, would like to pay in cash
"baby stuff" - no idea what we even need, so this is TBD

I'm pretty freaked out by things right now, as we're planning on me quitting my job after the baby is born (well, after my paid maternity leave). Living off of DH's salary isn't that big of a deal, except when you factor in the $1,000/mo being paid to his ex (it isn't even alimony or spousal support, so we don't even get tax breaks for paying it).

Car - right now, we have a 2001 VW TDI Golf we use as a primary car and a 1997 Chevy S-10 Truck. The Golf gets stellar milage (50mpg) so we're keeping it as DH's commuter car (not possible for him to take public transit to work), but neither one of us feels good about having an infant in a 2-seater truck. We'd like to sell it (probably can get $3500 for it) and get something else instead (haven't settled on what, just that we're looking to spend $10,000). Tenative date for vehicle purchase is August or so.

Savings - we're trying to put $2,000+ away a month, but my clothing and eating issues have put something of a hamper on that goal. Things have settled a bit, so we're hoping to make the $2k/mo starting this month. Over time, the amount going into savings should grow beyond that.

Part of our overall plan is to slowly trim our budget down to what it will be when I quit working. We've made some good progress so far, but still have a ways to go. It's a process.

So, to the point - where do you Fools think we should be focusing our money? At 0% interest, I see no point in paying off the legal fees early, but should we pay off the 9% student loans? Or, should we just throw everything into savings and see where we are in July? I'm feeling a bit paniced about the whole thing right now, and would really appreicate any input you might have!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.