Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am getting married this year and I'm trying to adjust our W-4 withholdings but when I tried to fill this out I got what I thought was a really high answer. I'm hoping someone can tell me what the right answer is. Below are the facts:

No dependents, exemptions (we rent), minimal investment income etc.
Person A makes $81k per year ($88k including 401k contributions)
Person B makes $125k per year ($138k including 401k contributions)

Right now, Person A has 1 exemption listed and gets a small return each year and Person B has 2 exemptions and pays some each year. If it matters, we are in CA.

When I ran the calculations it says that we need to withhold an additional ~$10k/year. This seems like a lot but I'm not sure if it's right and if it's on top of the current exemptions we have listed and whether it's total between the two of us or cumulative. I also don't know if I should be taking out the 401k contributions and if I should be doing anything with healthcare contributions.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to get out all of the information. I appreciate any help that you guys can give me.

Thanks!
Caliali
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.