Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Bought a pair of black boots from Sears which I thought were perfect for motorcycle riding because they get destroyed but, they're cheapso who cares? But I'm really loving these boots. They were on clearance for 20 bucks! They wanted me to open a sears card too which would've been 20 off making the purchase free (what's up with that)? I said no however since I figured 20 bucks is cheap enough.

Anyway I recently impulse bought and subsequently retired a pair of 80 Ralph Lauren chuka kinda boot and cool water deodorant totaling 100 bucks back in my pocket.

I also recently bought a 220 dollar Gucci sneakers from a thrift store off all things (I wanted to own the most expensive sneakers than everybody and I saw some punk wearing some and didn't want to be out done). Silly I know.

Anyway I think I'm getting as much satisfaction from my boots from sears that can kick your a-- than all of those. I'm glad I return the others and kept Gucci sneakers however.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
220 dollar sneakers. Ouch...
No. of Recommendations: 0
220 dollar sneakers. Ouch...

=================================

I just did a quick look and didn't see any for less than $500.00

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/ca/men/mens-shoes/mens-sneakers-...
I mentioned in the OP they were from a thrift store.
No. of Recommendations: 3

Sorry, whether you bought them from a thrift store or not, $220 for a pair of sneakers is falling to marketing hype.

AJ

================================

Sorry, I misread. I thought you meant you bought sneakers at a thrift store that were originally $220, but didn't say what you paid. I didn't realize the $220 was what you paid.

Who are you trying to impress?
Is it really marketing hype/trying to impress anyone ... Or did I just like the sneakers? I also liked the idea of one upping everyone else's sneakers for some dumb reason. I'm wearing them now. I guess I could've been just as happy with my vans which I have 2 pairs of those...

But what else could have I done with 220$?
Getting satisfaction from inexpensive purchases is becoming justified expensive purchases.

I think the thing for me is you have to spend some money anyway that is prolly wasted: whether it be a massage, or food not prepared at home etc. but at the same time you can't spend it all in one place -- like giving 1/2 your paycheck to landlord to live in the trendy part of the city. So you're still saving something but, you have some throw-away money and purchases as well.
you have some throw-away money and purchases as well.

If income permits, budgets should include some discretionary funds that don't need to be justified.

I was happy to find $20 boots for a costume. The shoes I buy for daily use are more expensive. Not $220, but good shoes aren't cheap.
I also liked the idea of one upping everyone else's sneakers because I fell for marketing hype.

There - fixed that for you.

AJ
So in 70's when people went around with extended forks on their motor bikes -- was that marketing hype? Or classic one ups manship?
I would never pay retail for something like that but since it was in a thrift store -- why not?
Or is it compensating for something...

AC *it's like a bright yellow car*
I'm very comfortable with my penis size....

Very very comfortable ... <b/>
I think the thing for me is you have to spend some money anyway that is prolly wasted: whether it be a massage, or food not prepared at home etc. but at the same time you can't spend it all in one place -- like giving 1/2 your paycheck to landlord to live in the trendy part of the city. So you're still saving something but, you have some throw-away money and purchases as well.

I can identify with that.

I want a life free of fretting about a bunch of little things. So instead, I live in a house that cost me 1/3 of what I could have been approved for. So I've got plenty of "disposable" income that I can spend on whatever little whim comes across my brain without worrying about my budget. Like if I decide I want a new cell phone, I just go pick out the one I want without regard to cost. I don't really care about "one upping" anybody anymore, but if the one I want happens to cost $600 or whatever, so be it.

But I also want a life free of worrying about the few big important things. So I only waste a small percentage of my "disposable" income in such ways. Mostly, I save it. Going back to the cell phone example, my frequency of deciding I want a new one is a lot lower than it seems to be for most of the people I know.

I know you think I'm just a blue collar jerk who pinches every penny, but that isn't the case. I pinch a lot of pennies, but not every one!

xtn
I meant the guys who ride choppers. Like this: http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2016/05/30/flying-panhead-chopper/

AC *not your Gucci shoes*

it's pretty but how well can you make turns
No idea what ^ means.

But the other good thing about my sneakers is that I can wear my cheap army jackets with them and not look/feel like I'm a pauper. Then it's like you're making a fashion statement or something and not hard up.
So in 70's when people went around with extended forks on their motor bikes -- was that marketing hype? Or classic one ups manship?

I think in that case it's the one-upping game...although for the life of me I can't think of any logical reason that taller bars were considered "better" than shorter bars. I base this analysis on the fact that I don't remember any marketing efforts aimed at creating that perception, and on the fact that motorcycle handlebars cost would pretty strictly be based on the amount of metal tube and the amortized cost of the machine used to bend them, etc. I'm not aware of any aftermarket handlebar manufacturer that has attempted the premium pricing model.

Gucci, however, uses it. It's always a mystery to me how it works, because it seems like a circular reference. I mean, the brand value seems to justify the high prices, but only the high prices seems to justify the brand value. Huh? I don't really get how that's a sustainable model, but it seems to work on enough consumers to keep Gucci in the green. Since I can't think of a logical reason why Gucci should be priced so much higher than similar products, I feel the only explanation must be marketing hype and consumers' perception that more expensive stuff must somehow automatically be better.

Why do YOU feel that an overpriced Gucci sneaker is a one-upping purchase? I'm not judging. Dispose of your disposable income however you please, of course. I'm just curious. I have "lesser" sneakers, but I don't FEEL one-upped by somebody in Gucci sneakers.

xtn
I have "lesser" sneakers, but I don't FEEL one-upped by somebody in Gucci sneakers.

It occurs to me that I want to expand on the above thought.

I think partly it comes from the fact that I don't believe they are "better" in any way than my own less expensive sneakers.

And I think partly it comes from the fact that I know I could buy a dozen pairs of them if I had the urge to do so. It only feels like I've been one-upped if somebody does something I couldn't do. Like, if you do a hundred pushups, and I do none, I know I've been one-upped. But if you do twenty pushups, and I do none, I don't feel the same, because I know I could do twenty-five. Make sense?

xtn
I have sneakers that I can run in. It really doesn't matter to me how they look. It matters that I can run in them without injuring myself.

ThyPeace, if I needed $500 shoes for that, I might look for a new hobby. Luckily, I do fine with $150 or so.
No. of Recommendations: 9
But what else could have I done with 220$?

A hooker and some booze. The hooker won't be Gucci quality.

PSU
The hooker won't be Gucci quality.

I imagine that depends entirely on what you're willing to pay!
I imagine that depends entirely on what you're willing to pay!

I thought we were limiting our expense to $220. You may find better hookers in the parking lot of the local thrift store.

PSU
The going rate for hookers is the going rate. The pics are all fake anyway so there's no way to gauge "bang for the buck" if you'll pardon the pun. Sometimes you pay more since in her mind if she's going to do that, it better be for a lot of money; without any rhyme or reason with regard to her looks.

Booze and hookers are a great way to spend 220$ till you realize you got the crabs or whatever
No. of Recommendations: 5
But what else could I have done with the 220$

Bought a pair of Sketchers for $50 and gone to the movies 20 times.
gone to the movies 20 times.

It only cost $8.50 for the movies where you live?!?!?!

AC *stopped going when it hit $15*
No way. Sketchers are lame. I also remember movies being a big rip these days...
"getting satisfaction from inexpensive purchases..."

"$220 sneakers"

?

Does not compute

?

Humble brag?
^

I was talking about my 20 dollar construction boots from sears. I doubt i can get that much satisfaction from cheap sh*t ALL THE TIME.
No. of Recommendations: 4

We go to matinees, with Senior discount. Actually it costs $7 each, and since the kinds of movies we like don't tend to show up on the TV channels, much less HBO and Showtime, we enjoy going.

Thre's also a $3 "second run" movie theater, but we don't go to that one much because it's largely the blockbusters and big movies on the second go-round just before the video, streaming, hotel, and airline windows for release.

Pardon me for replying to the same post twice, but I had to rub my eyes ... and then look it up:

Domestic movie ticket prices rose to an average of $8.58 in the first quarter of 2016, according to the National Association of Theatre Owners
http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/movie-ticket-prices-...

I guess I could spend $15 - if it was first run, Imax, 3D, including popcorn and valet parking ;)
Took my kids to Star Wars over the weekend, matinee was $5.85.

Going to Trolls tonight, $2 Tuesdays (second run theater).
Buying crazy glue and shoe goo and fixing the 1/2 inch tear on the top side, left shoe with crazy glue after buying show goo to fix the 1 inch tear on the top side, right shoe. Incidentally, the insides also contain duct tape & packing tape. This all started when I also got them resoled for something like 40 bucks (which was a lot but conveniently located from apt./work commute). I also bought shoe polish for them (keeping them shiny masks the destruction). These are my work shoes (plain black dressy Bruno Magli) which got for Christmas 10 years ago.

So far I'm into them for 51 dollars.

PS - I also recently acquired another black pair of work shoes for 70.00$, and a new brown pair also for 70$; from Marshalls which I refuse to wear any longer until the glued pair's soles are worn out and will be finally retire this time.
I always get the most satisfaction from getting free stuff!!!!!!

David
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.
You will be able to recommend 10 more posts today. (explain this)
- TMFServer

Rec. count = 20

Date: le 17 janvier 2017
Temps: 11:22 HST

Aloha from Kona Hawaii!!!
If income permits, budgets should include some discretionary funds that don't need to be justified.

I was happy to find $20 boots for a costume. The shoes I buy for daily use are more expensive. Not $220, but good shoes aren't cheap.
- vkg | Date: 12/29/2016 11:32:06 AM | Number: 311356

I still have the expensive Army Officer's black boots I bought for seventy-five dollars, December 1968 when I earned my Second Lieutenanat's Gold Bar. I also bought a Colt Officer's .45 1911 A1.a for seventy-five dollars, including the holster at a "Special New Officer" price of $125. Both are secured under combination safe in my bedroom closet. I have seen similar 1911s sold new for over $1750.00. This sidearm was standard for Army Officers in 1968. More recently the US Army has switched to a 9mm Beretta. A nine does not have the one-shot stopping power of the .45.

WHOVPLLC