Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have set up an Excel spreadsheet that automatically gets the Financial Statement information using the RCH functions. However, no matter which service I use (Reuters, Google, etc.) the numbers are not matching what DELL has published in their 10K. Why is this happening? Is there a workaround?

Thanks for reading.
Print the post Back To Top
I have set up an Excel spreadsheet that automatically gets the Financial Statement information using the RCH functions. However, no matter which service I use (Reuters, Google, etc.) the numbers are not matching what DELL has published in their 10K. Why is this happening? Is there a workaround?

Some examples might help?

However, from what I've seen in writing the add-in and looking at financial statements on the various services, they tend to "pigeon hole" the information differently because they publish fewer line items than the 10-K filings have.

For the general items, they are usually OK, but when you get down to the finer level of detail, there is little consistency. I've even seen cases where "Cash and Equivalents" is significantly different between services because of how they treat the applicable (by their definition) sub-items. For example, some include "Restricted Cash", others do not.
Hi rharmelink,

Thanks for the reply. I have read a bit of the Yahoo! group and see that you do a great job of responding to questions on that board. Didn't think you were on this board!

As for examples, it's just the general stuff you mentioned. For instance I can't seem to get my income statement to show the correct EPS, no matter what I do...that is, when I do it manually I get the same number the company reports, but when I use the RCH functions it doesn't come out exactly right, even when I mix and match from different services (Yahoo!, Google, ect.). In the long run, I think mixing and matching would probably be bad anyway.

Is there any one service you trust more that the others? Is any one service more "inline" with what is reported on the 10-K, or do they have their strengths and weaknesses?

I'll also take the time here to thank you for writing this awesome add-in. Truly a time-saver, and I'm only just starting to toy around with the possibilities it offers. Such a great product.
Is there any one service you trust more that the others? Is any one service more "inline" with what is reported on the 10-K, or do they have their strengths and weaknesses?

I tend to "trust" the AdvFN numbers more than the others, because:

-- They seem to update financial statements more quickly than the others
-- They are more detailed on line items, so less "pigeon-holing" seems to go on

The drawback is that it takes longer to get data from their website. Morningstar and Zacks also seem to be on the slow side for response times.

I eventually hope to have RCHGetTableCell() templates for the financial statements from all the services I know about, so I can do more comparisons between them. I've more or less given up on the idea of using RCHGetElementNumber() to get financial statement data, because there are just too many items and maintenance when the underlying web page changes is nothing short of a nightmare.
Yea, I can see how time-consuming it would be for you when the underlying web page changes.

I believe I have decided to not use the AdvFN numbers because I think they recently were not working, or something. I read on the Yahoo! board about some changes, and it might have been AdvFN that was at issue because the website had changed. If it's up and working I will take your advice and use their stuff...they do seem to have more numbers and are more detailed than the others.

RCHGetTableCell() would be great, but I wonder if you can select only the data that you want from the cell, or would it just return the whole table?
No. of Recommendations: 1
RCHGetTableCell() would be great, but I wonder if you can select only the data that you want from the cell, or would it just return the whole table?

It just selects a single table cell. It uses the exact same extraction engine as the RCHGetElementNumber(). The only difference is the RCHGetElementNumber() has all of the parameters internally stored. Of course, the RCHGetHTMLTable() could be used to get the whole table in one fell swoop, if that's desired. But I think it's easier to deal with the individual elements and not have to use an array-entered formula -- which also locks up the table range for further editing or sorting.

The templates I've been uploading recently have been set up so that you can cut and paste any part of the financial statements tables that you want -- entire table(s), entire row(s), or individual cell(s). The only thing you need to do ahead of time is establish a cell for holding the ticker symbol -- which can always be changed after the fact to accomodate a company comparison layout of some type.

For example, the following formula gets the most recent fiscal year "Revenue" from MSN. Changing the "1" parameter to a "2", would get you the next earlier fiscal year, and so forth.

=RCHGetTableCell("http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/statemnt.aspx?lstStatement=Income&stmtView=Ann&Symbol="&Ticker,1,"Revenue")

The whole point of the template is to make it easy to copy the formulas instead of needing to create them from scratch.
I find Reuter's gets the numbers right more often than not.Much better than MSN

...and!!!!

you can now download Reuters data into an excel spreadsheet--just copy and paste

WooHoo!
Is it not just as easy or easier to cut and paste from the companies 10K -- then you know you have the right numbers with no middle-man...
The 10K is not excel compatible. Edgar does provide spreasheets however. I have tried to use them and not found them user friendly. If you download from the spreadsheet the calculator does not recognize the numbers
Yes - I have to copy and paste each number which is very time consuming - How do you download from Reuters?
Used to be you could not just copy a line or a cell at Reuter's and paste it into a spreadsheet and get it to work. The spreadsheet simply would not function

I have a spreadsheet that queries the site and I still use it because it does all the ratios I count on each time I look at a company. It is somewhat abbreviated however in order to get a standard format of items that are present for every company and load on the same line every time. If it did not query into a standardized format then I would have to enter all of the ratios each time. Also time consuming but less so than copying every number!. So I use the somewhat abbreviated query to the mule's work of automatically generating margins growth DIO DSO etc etc. However, the way Reuters is now set up, you can select the whole financial statement(exclude the dates at the top they don't copy across just add them later)

Start with the first cell of data and select to the last cell
Hit copy in edit
GO to your blank spreadsheet and select the cell where you want to start and paste. Voila you have a working spreadsheet. The site recently underwent a change and this may be what they were doing.

the problem with just getting a query to download every cell on the site is that they don't always match the commands line by line so you have to keep it simple and cover the basics that are there for every
company.Otherwise it throws the query off. And as you know it has to be consistent to load consistently

However, its nice to then load the whole thing and make additions for one time charges and things like acquisitions which may be lumpy etc etc
Each spreadsheet can be customized endlessly without the tedium of either having to cut and paste number by number or re-enter a couple of dozen ratios for every company
Voila you have a working spreadsheet.

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but how accurate are the numbers from the copy/paste Reuters data when compared to the actual 10-K or 10-Q?

Jim
Reuters has very good numbers and I rarely find mistakes. They sometimes combine numbers so you don't get all the detail a 10K or Q gives but the end results are usually very accurate.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi KitKat and all
The 10K is not excel compatible
I may be off the mark and can't offer a way to pull the data from within Excel, but I find it easy to download the information from the 10K and 10Q in to Excel.

Here is how I do it.
I use Firefox so skip step two if you're using IE
1. Got to the filing on Edgar
2. Right click and select View Page in IE Tab (you need the Firefox extension for this)
3. Right click anywhere on the data you want to download and select Export to Microsoft Excel.
4. Data is exported to Excel, then quick macro to format the negatives and you're done.

I now it's not fancy, but it quickly does the job.

Hope it is of some help.

Cheers
Dean
I just found my first company that the above process doesn't work for, BWLD. The key seems to be if the filing has the blue and white background on the tables it is easily imported, it is just a text file it is not.

Buggered if I can import any data from Reuters any more. Not even the great spreadsheets of KitKats will work any more. Do they make this difficult on purpose?

Dean
No. of Recommendations: 2
Yeah Reuter's is not making it easy. It got fixed after their conversion to excel compatibility but are now not working again. Not sure it is fixable

I have excel downloaded from Edgar but the dates are all wrong and I hate the spacing. The Reuter's financials can be directly selected, copied and pasted to an excel spreadsheet but of course all the ratios will have to be entered every time--something I had hoped to avoid.

Unless every company lines up cell by cell allowing cut and paste directly over previous work, the calculations will be off. It may be that a lot of the Reuter's stuff is so formated that it can be put exactly in place every time allowing you to not have to keep calculating the numbers. I have not looked at enough entries to know if this will happen. This could all be solved if we were wealthy hedge fund managers with 1000's of employees to do the data entry and enough cash to buy services like Cap IQ.

o well