Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
Hey, Fools.

I hope some of you are still following along with our international investing learning curriculum. If not, at least it's still been fun for me to reread a bunch of books that have been very influential at times during my career. Up this month is Mark Mobius's Passport to Profits, which you can think of as an updated version or modern version of Templeton's Global Investing: The Templeton Way. Mobius, as you may know, was chosen to succeed Templeton as head of his international funds and has been quite successful.

Why it was chosen
Passport to Profits, more than any other book, will give you the playbook we used to build GG from the beginning and it best details the methodology we use to find international, and mostly emerging market stocks, each and every month. What you'll notice immediately in the book -- and is the thread that ties it all together -- is that Mobius is a relentless traveler, using not just company meetings, but down time in countries around the world, to get to know people and places. He then uses these observations relentlessly when making investment decisions.

I think we're a bit more numbers based than Mobius is (and we certainly don't travel as much), but the Mobius travel MO is something we've adopted here at GG. Further, the book provides some great tips -- though you'll find most of them in Templeton -- about investing in emerging markets.

Ideas worth remembering
Mobius peppers rules throughout the book that are the general takeaways from the specific investment anecdotes he goes through in Estonia, Russia, 1997 Asia, and Brazil. I've picked out the lessons I thought were most valuable, but I recommend folks read the book to get the context in which Mobius learned them.

#1 Apply the FELT principle to any market you're thinking about investing in. (FELT means that the market is Fair, Efficient, Liquid, and Transparent).

I don't think this is the best acronym because Mobius is going into markets we might not exactly think of as efficient or transparent (ex. we probably wouldn't call China transparent today, but Mobius and many others are there). But what he's getting at is an idea he brings up at the end of the book which is namely that if you're going to put money in anywhere, it better be pretty easy to get it out. And that's good advice.

#2 Your best protection is diversification

We obviously preach this a lot on these boards (and I don't think people really take me seriously when stocks are going up), but it's a critical point when it comes to volatile emerging markets. Mobius reveals that his funds have regional limits, country limits, and specific company limits to make sure they're never so overweight they can get burned. The reason I think this is important is because investing in foreign markets is inherently risky and you need to take risk to make money. If you go overweight in one region, one country, or one company and get burned, it will make you gunshy about taking risk the next time...and you may miss out on something like YONG when that opportunity presents itself. (Imagine, for example, if you'd only owned AOB the last few years. You might never invest in another Chinese stock.)

#3 Look at a map

Maps are tremendously useful tools. First, they reveal right off the bat that the US is a very small part of the world, which is a crucial worldview to have if you plan to be a global investor. Second, only maps can reveal what Mobius calls "gateway countries." These are trading nations or smaller nations that stand to benefit from growth of a regional giant like Brazil or China. These small countries are often undervalued relative to their larger peer, but represent a similar opportunity due to their georgraphy.

#4 Getting lied to can be just as valuable as getting the truth.

I love this one because it means no meeting is not worthwhile. You'll learn just as much when you're being lied to vis a vis making a sound decision than if you get everything straight. The key is being trained and knowing the numbers well enough to know when/if you're being lied to.

#5 Management matters; walk away if you get even a whiff of impropriety

This one sounds easy enough, but I often wonder how it hangs with Mobius frequent observation that if you buy cheap stocks, you will one distressed companies and/or bad companies. After all, stocks get cheap for a reason and the perception that management is rotten is one of those common reasons. So, I think I'd modify this -- and I think Mobius would agree -- that you walk into situations where you get a whiff of impropriety, but walk out quickly when the preponderance of evidence indicates that management is not working in your favor. (Note, too, that his funds are big enough to fight management team. Us individual investors should pay special heed to this advice since we can be easily ignored.)

#6 The less developed the economy, the more basic you should be

In frontier economies you're looking at nothing other than utilities, financials, and telecoms.

#7 Try to buy when others are fearful, but you can find bargains in a boom

We're all well aware of this first bit of advice, but Mobius says that if you want to get into a booming economy, look for second-tier companies that may be struggling, but have significant growth potential if they get their business right (remember to be protected in diversification).

#8 Things change a lot around the world. Be flexible, always be learning, and make sure you can get out if you need to.

One final note
There's a whole chapter in this book devoted to how corrupt Russia is. This book was written 12 years ago. Russia continues to be in bad shape. There's a lesson there about never predicting that the zebra will change its stripes despite the fact that things do change a lot and fast around the world. Our investments live in between those two facts.

Tim
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.