Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I just read a great post by Tom Engle (TMF1000) on how he uses his fool subscriptions to build his portfolio.

For anyone with a SA subscription, feel free to read his great post here (http://boards.fool.com/1081/tom-e-using-sa--29929352.aspx?so...).

One of his points is that he looks at the scorecards of the services monthly to find out which stocks have performed best over time. If he keeps seeing the same names at the top over and over again, he decides to study them, and ultimately put them in his portfolio.

I thought it would be fun to do the same with GG's scorecard.

As such, here are GG's best ever stock recs and their current status.

CEO - sold
FMX - hold
MICC.pk - sold
PM - hold
CFSG - sold
VEMTF - hold
EDU - sold

Now, keep in mind that this just keeps score from when the stocks were bought to when they were sold. If you look a little bit further, you can see that there really best picks were actually sold at much lower prices and won't be relected by simply ordering the scorecard by highest returns.

MELI - Sold $27.7 - Current $97.26
BAP - Sold $73.18 - Current $127.58
MICC.pk (now MIICF.pk) - Sold $88.48 - Current $110.01
NVO - Sold $70.6 - Current - $139.83

Mind you, I am NOT doing this to show GG's mistakes. I am doing solely as an exercise to help me find the best GG stocks for my investment dollars.

To me, this means that the BEST GG's stock candidates right now are the following:

CEO, FMX, PM, VEMTF, EDU, MELI, BAP, MIICF.pk, NVO, BLX, PVD, FRCOY, HDB

There are also several new recs that have not had their time to shine yet. ARCO, PCLN, CHEOY.ok. If these companies prove themselves over time, I think they all make great contenders for your investment dollar.

Of these, I currently own PM, VEMTF, BLX, PVD and HDB. Those are my favorites, and those will get the bulk of my global funds moving forward.

The more I study stocks, the more I come to the realization that making the most money in the stock market is really a repetitive, 3 step process

1) Find the best companies, with the best economics, with huge and expanding moats, with the best management, and the best opportunities for growth and expansion

2) Buy those stocks (valuation be damned)

3) Follow those stocks to make sure the story is intact, and add to your best ideas slowly over time

For PM, VEMTF, BLX, PVD and HDB, the story is still intact. I will continue to watch, and continue to add when I have additional funds.

For MELI, CEO, FMX, NVO and BAP, I will continue to watch and study. If I get comfortable enough with the companies and their prospects, I will start small positions.

I also find that it is VERY helpful to force yourself to rank your stocks. This is a great way to force yourself to focus your funds into your best ideas. For me, that list looks like this:

1) HDB
2) BLX
3) PM
4) VEMTF
5) PVD

Of the next 5, I would order them as follows (again, I don't know much about these stocks yet)

1) MELI
2) FMX
3) CEO
4) BAP
5) NVO

You may have noticed that our chinese friends YONG and CGA and missing from this list. For me, they are in the penalty box. Each has warts, and none will be getting any additional funds until they get their acts together. If the do so, the market will reward them (hopefully), which will make me feel better. If the market continues to smell fraud, then I will let each go at a significant loss.

Anyone else feel the same? Think I felt a terrific stock off this list? How would you rank your favorite GG stocks?

Brian
SA/RB Welcome Fool
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
One of his points is that he looks at the scorecards of the services monthly to find out which stocks have performed best over time. If he keeps seeing the same names at the top over and over again, he decides to study them, and ultimately put them in his portfolio.

None of GG stocks figure in his portfolio. He does have some foreign winners, in fact big time winners with Chinese small caps, such as BIDU and CTRP - not recommended by GG.

I have closely interacted with him over the past few years (including visiting him in person twice) and observed how he did extremely well with US retailers in a saturated market. He says he chooses Chineses tickers (like Dang or EJ) just because the tickers sound too cool to not invest and I agree that is a far more powerful investment thesis I have seen so far than most GG Chinese picks. On that count, that is the best investment case for YONG.

Anurag
Print the post Back To Top