Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
gharnett: "My thanks for the reference to the Tax Court's opinion, which I've filed away for later reference. It does seem to support the view that I heard on TheStreet.com, does it not?"

I think that your are being very optimistic. The tax payer in the cited case had standing instructions to always sell the shares with the highest basis, and then accounted accordingly. IIRC, your original post discussed deciding long after the fact which shares were sold, and implied (or I least inferred) that it would not necessarily mean those with the highest basis. If I understood your original post correctly, then, IMO, there is a huge difference between your plan and the one approved in the referenced case. IF you deliver a similar letter to your broker (CM,RRR), and then always use the shares with the highest basis, then you would be similar to the referenced case.

Just my $0.02 (and posted before I read all responses).

Regards, JAFO

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.