Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had a question in regards to gifts of stock. If I were to gift stock to my mother, besides providing the brokerage with my cost and tax basis, is there anything else I need to do such as have Schwab transfer the certificates over from street name over to my name or my mothers name? I am 29 years old, earn 22,000/yr at my current job. I plan on gifting to my mother $9,000 to $10,000 max. So I guess I would be in the 28% tax bracket right? My mother is retired and doesn't have any income coming in except for her social security. She is 63, from what I understand she is in a lower tax bracket say 15%. So if I were to gift the stock over to her and she subsequently sold at a later date for her own use, the money would be taxed at a lower rate as opposed to my rate correct?

Thanks for any info or additional insight.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.