Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Given that I may have a valid age discrimination and I can easily pull over a million dollars a year in profit from my current company, I wonder if I can get a couple years in severance.
This is incredibly unlikely...if you were so valuable they would be willing to give you a package that is basically unheard of anywhere in corporate America, they would be keeping you.

You could sue them and hope you got this, but again it's unlikely. Smart negotiation may be able to bump you up from 3 months to 4 or maybe even 6, ut no way is it going to take you from 3 months to multi-year.

I ran an entire department with a HUGE construction budget that was a driver for an enormous amount of sales growth at my old company - but it didn't mean I got much of anything special for severance. I took the 6 months and was quite happy to have it. All the years I had felt invaluable to my old company, it was quite humbling to know I wasn't really. That's part of th mental adjustment about a layoff. It is indeed hard.

It's a bad spot to be in, but I would suggest (based on my own experience) that you take the max you can, scrutinize your finances and modify your budget now to put yourself on a hard-times budget while job searching, and loook forward not back. Start talking to colleagues in the industry about what's out there and be prepared to make a move.

It may mean working a few years longer than you had planned to get to retirement, but maybe you will find a great new job that you will like better.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.