Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Given that there are health issues, you might look into senior housing options that have services available, from rental apartments with linen & maid service and 15 dinners provided per month in a central dining room, all the way up to assisted living. BTW, are you much younger or older than your husband? Do you both have health issues? Does one of you work some of the time or do both of you--and do you need to be near certain types of employment? What kind of community do you need or prefer--urban? small town? Friends or relatives you'd like to live close to--that saves on travel expenses?

I would spend no more than half of the $500k on a home/condo/coop/sr housing purchase (less if possible) OR no more than $1k/month on a rental. If the pension has a COLA (annual cost of living adjustment), you can invest less aggressively. I would invest $50-100k in a 5-year CD ladder. It'll provide a little income, plus you could cash out a maturing "rung" if you need extra cash for health care, car replacement, or whatever without having to sell stock in a down market (like this one!). I would invest the rest in diversified index funds. Seems like a reasonable time to get into the market.

Learn about staging your house for sale. Take care of any deferred maintenance, repaint any rooms that look dark, declutter and clean thoroughly, take care of any odors such as from pets or mildew. Set the kitchen/dining table(s) with your best china and a small vase of fresh flowers when the house is being shown. This worked for me even in a previous buyer's market (San Francisco 2002).

Good luck!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.