Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Given the penchant for some on this board to want to marry, kids to marry, etc. "real Jews" - it's hilarious to consider that their own mothers, grandmothers, etc. likely had a large proportion of Eastern European/gentile ancestry.

I've not had any genetic tests but on multiple occasions Lebanese people have taken me for Lebanese (and I've never lived in an area with many Lebanese or other Middle Eastern people) so I suspect I have some of "the real stuff" in me, FWIW. Dark hair, dark eyes.

Or maybe not.

If genetic testing can show that someone doesn't have a predominance of Jewish genetic markers (say as little as 20%) , do they need to convert to be considered Jewish by the Orthodox rebbes in Israel?

Absolutely not. In one of our recent threads a prominent rabbi was quoted to say that if someone presents themselves as a Jew the presumption should be that they are a Jew. In the old days conversion was never made to be such a big deal. There was no central authority trying to impose its will universally. If a Jewish man married a non-Jew (which according to the article happened quite a lot) and the woman adopted his ways, became part of his community, and shared his beliefs, she was considered converted. What was good enough for them must be good enough for us.

The danger to Judaism is not from those who may have not converted according to some strict rules of Halacha. It is from those who want to impose strict rules of Halacha, often retroactively.

Elan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.