Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
I received a letter today from the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP). I've been registered as a donor marrow for roughly 13 years now. The letter prompted me to share information here about the program.

I signed up while in college during a drive to help a local young girl. Sometimes there are costs to register, in this case the costs were underwritten.

Bone marrow, or stem cells, transplants are needed for a number of illnesses such as various forms of leukemia, congenital immune system disorders, severe aplastic anemia, Hodgkin's disease, and Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

When I went to donate, I was saddened by the statistics I learned. I don't remember them now, but the chance of finding an unrelated donor was extremely low. I was told by staff from the local Blood and Tissue Center that the low odds were because of the small pool of potential donors. I am thrilled to see the odds have increased. From the NMDP website:

Approximately 80 percent of all patients identify at least one potential match on their preliminary search. This number has improved significantly (in 1991, it was 41 percent) because of increased recruitment efforts to add racial and ethnic diversity to the Registry. Remember, however, that not all of the 80 percent of patients who identify an identical donor at the preliminary search will necessarily go on to the transplant stage.

Not long after registering I was notified I was a potential match. I had a second blood draw to type my tissue to an even more specific level. Unfortunately, at that level I wasn't compatible.

Oddly enough, a week later I received a kit in the mail asking for a second blood draw. Because of monetary donations, they were able to select people who weren't matches yet and more specifically type their blood. Since I had just done this (I assume the patient who I preliminarily matched bore the cost), someone else was selected.

That was my only call. I assume if I'm called again, that there's a good chance I'll be a match. Through multiple moves I am devoted to keep my contact information updated with them. Once a year I get newsletter and the rare letters with changes to their policies.

I don't have a story that will tug on your heartstrings or the picture of someone you can save. Being a marrow donor is asking a lot of you; they admit it hurts. Not everyone will be eligible to donate. However, every person that registers increases the odds and gives hope.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.