Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm sure this is not a unique situation, but my in-laws want to give us a fairly substantial chunk of money towards a deposit on the house, and they want to receive some income from us as a result of that. We want to figure out how to do this in a tax-efficient way. We're completely flexible as to how this can be structured: as a loan, equity stake in the house, outright gift, etc., but the basic idea is:

- They provide the money towards a deposit, with no expectation of capital repayment (it will be deducted from inheritance at a later date, or will form part of the estate's assets, to make it fair for my wife's siblings)

- We give them 3% of the deposit amount each year

Does anyone know where I can go to get some good advice on this? Would my friendly local CPA know about this sort of thing, or do I need a specialist? If I need a specialist, then in what is there specialty, and how do I find one? Do we need lawyers involved?

Any thoughts at all, either on how to do this, or who I need to speak to, would be appreciated.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.