Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Glad everyone's OK.

Let insurance take care of it. That's what it's there for. With car insurance, especially, the body shop may give an estimate, but once work starts they often find it'll be more, and you really don't want to get involved in that. Not to mention, the injured party might have medical expenses, despite seeming to be OK now, or might decide to sue, and you really don't want to get involved in that.

Your premiums will probably rise, but only temporarily.

(For homeowner's insurance, I'd give a different answer, because when you make a claim on homeowner's (or even inquire about making a claim), that puts you at risk of the insurance company moving a step closer to dropping your policy. For homeowner's, I have the largest deductible possible.)

As far as the insurance company having a chat with your daughter, if it were my kid I'd allow it, because I think it'd be a good experience for her. Obviously, I'd hope she'd learn from the accident experience itself, but I think having a conversation with the insurance company might also help. The most important thing here is your daughter's being a safer driver going forward, and any embarrassment, premium increase, etc, is small potatoes compared to that.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.