Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Glad that you posted your question. It speaks to some of the things that I think about in considering 401k versus IRA.

First, I would suggest you consider a Roth IRA if you haven't already. At your current income, with family considerations, you may need the extra deduction that a traditional IRA offers. If, however, you're able to do without it, then consider a Roth IRA.

Second, consider whether converting (what I assume is a traditional IRA) to a Roth IRA. If, by contributing the maximum (15%) and your employee match yields (you don't specify the %, but usually it's between 2 and 5%) $5K, you earn about $27000. The taxes you might pay on your (fantastic) investments may probit you from choosing this, but if you can, you'll thank yourself when your 59 1/2 and older. You either are in the 15 or 28% tax bracket, probably the 28%, which would shoulder you with significant capital gains payments due following the tax year of your conversion. It may pay for you not to make any retirement account contributions to pay the tax consequences of the conversion in exchange for your upside over the next 30 years.

Finally, since you must choose between the two, consider whether you will anticipate having other "hot tips" like Oracle and Wal-Mart or if your $ might better be managed by someone else. If it's the latter -- no shame in that -- roll over your IRA to your 401k and sleep well (but pay a premium for the service) by investing in what your company allows you to select from. I probably would keep the two accounts distinct, however, and invest in the Foolish 4 or indices (given a lack of time to be more thorough, which I get from your message but doesn't match me personally), and hold on tight.

Just MHO. Good luck!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.