No. of Recommendations: 1
Glad to hear agreement on it not being too late. I was kind of hoping the folks would have started investing on his behalf and started the discussion then before high school was out, but I guess there is indeed time based on consensus. (I think the magic number is putting money away in the market at 15...imagine what just the initial investment becomes at 65, in theory at least, a whole half-century later, right at traditional retirement age; of course, it would take a lot, a lot, of discipline not to touch it; managing it is certainly okay, but withdrawals, that would be tough, I concede.)

Thanks for reminding me about the income requirement...slipped my mind and became nonexistent. That is a good idea about sourcing to gifts.

TMF-V, you are fortunate indeed she wants to invest. Very smart thing to do. With the Fool on your side, she will do extremely well over time. You say first Roth...I hear people saying this sometimes (more so in terms of "this year's Roth"). I've always just stayed at one broker, do you mean that people tend to open Roths at different brokers/fund companies over time? I knew someone who did that, but figured that was rare. Mine is the same broker for years.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.