Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Glad to see there are at least a handful of folks that still have this board on their favorites. Available time can be a challenge these days, but I'd like to see if I can get some discussion going. I've been having an ongoing discussion with someone I came into contact with through a mutual friend about the energy sector and am really enjoying it. The discussion made me think it might be a good time to get things going here again, too.

As for energy, I never thought that would be my area of focus, but with all that's been going on, I'm finding it a great sector to get to know and understand better. I've been surprised to find that there are some companies in this industry that I think have competitive advantages and can successfully navigate the waters of the commodity markets that impact them.

My approach is value-based, and I use my accounting background as an important element of my analysis. I incorporate some off-balance sheet items when looking at debt and also include some measures aimed at uncovering earnings management. I recently read Business Fairy Tales by Cecil Jackson and found it to be one of the best books I've read on this topic. The thing I liked the most was that the book discussed ways to uncover the manipulation, which most books don't touch on. Many of these were already in my toolbox, but there were a few new ones, too. I've only been in my current role for eight months, so I haven't finished incorporating everything into my analysis.

I work for Argus Research, so you can see my reports on Schwab and Fidelity. Right now I'm able to work out of my house, which provides a lot of advantages when you have a family with four children -- it gives me the chance to be more involved in their activities.

To the extent I can I'd like to open up discussion here to the energy sector, accounting-related issues, value investing and, of course, the principles of Philip Fisher.

That's about all for now.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.