No. of Recommendations: 13
For some years I was puzzled by the fact that I hadn't seen any real proof of problematic global warming, although the media was getting more and more to accept it as fact, along with the idea that it was human-caused. Recently I researched the matter seriously with a completely open mind, and found out that these theories have no real scientific basis, and are in fact hogwash. After a few hours of careful reading, there is no doubt left in my mind. Watching "An Inconvenient Truth" did nothing to change my mind, although one quoted "fact" seemed rather convincing until later research proved that it was not true. The whole thing has no basis in fact, although for some reason a lot of people want me to think that we are trashing the planet with CO2 emissions.

In future years this whole thing will merit a chapter in a revised version of "Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds". Mr Gore will go down in history in the same category as King Knut, who also thought he could hold back the waves.

My concern is, though, that the whole Western world is starting to spend vast gobs of money fighting the greenhouse effect. California is getting ready to force a reduction in CO2 emissions, and in Washington there are various plans being made for similar boondoggles, despite the fact that the govt's own commission formed to investigate the subject concluded that we have nothing to worry about.

The whole phenomenon is very puzzling. Why are so many people so anxious to "spread the word" as if this was a religion or something? Why do so many conclude that we should fight the trend rather than adapt to it? Why are so many people so concerned about a temperature trend that has changed direction twice in my lifetime, (from warming to cooling and back again), and why is it so widely believed that its current direction is going to be unchanged for a century or more, intensifying along the way?

This nation is rushing into bankruptcy as it is, and there is no need for our govt. to start a "war on climate" with costs like the war on terror, especially as there is no climate problem yet and no reason why reducing CO2 emissions would lower temperatures by a measurable amount anyway. Tilting at windmills is O.K. for individual Don Quixotes, but is not appropriate for government, nor is it in this case provided for in the Constitution. The federal govt. has no authority to attempt to change the weather. This would require an amendment to the Constitution.

Also, just as an aside, My research turned up the fact that if you wanted to cool the planet, running your air conditioner would probably be as good a way as any. Doing so sucks moisture (the major greenhouse gas) out of the atmosphere, besides keeping you nice and cool.

What a joke it all is. Unfortunately though, the joke will soon be on us if people don't come to their senses.

Good luck,

Ed.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.