Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Globalstreamer---Thank you for posting this. I have been a fan of this site for about 10 years....reading....learning....researching and very grateful for everything it and you all have taught me. I am 50 years old and recently was awarded a small disability settlement. I put it in a money market account and watched the market for about 6 months, continuing to research and learn as much as possible in order to be able to manage my own portfolio.

On March 2nd, 2009, I had the intuition that it was time to buy, so for the next few days, I followed that instinct. It seemed like Kismet as the market has been rallying and the buzz is that we may have seen the bottom. I put in 40K of my own money (all of my settlement) and used another 40K of margin buying power to set up a well diversified portfolio with 38 different positions that come highly recommended and look promising.

In two weeks, my holdings have increased overall by over 20%...and as a first-time investor, I have to say this is thrilling. I know this can all change in the blink of an eye, but I feel a certain amount of risk is required if I am to have anything to live on in retirement. Now...all of that said, I realize that I need to pay back that 40K on margin as FAST as possible. I am long on most everything I bought, but wonder if (and when) I should sell some anyway to chew back the margin debt.

I would so very grateful for your Foolish advice on the best way to pay this back. Since the market has been on such an upswing lately, it doesn't look like I need to do anything immediately, but we all know how it can turn on a dime. Do any of you wise Fools have suggestions for this newbie?

Thanks so much for reading this. -Sundolly
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.