Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards. We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Monday, September 26th 8AM EST: The migration is taking longer than expected, we need a few more hours to bring the site back online.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
i am looking to purchase my 1st blood glucose monitor.

i am not sure how many monitor this board besides fuskie but...

what make/models do you all use?....why? what do you like or don't like?

anything i need to know buying one?

thanks in advance!

fred
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hey Fred. I'm the worst one to ask because I'm still using the same meter I got 15 years ago. I did a quick google search for glucose monitors and got the following:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/health/senior-care/best-glucome...

There are a lot of bells and whistles these days, from WiFi or Bluetooth enabled devices, but the simplest often works best. All you really need is a quick and reliable number. Be sure to check out the cost of test strips and lancets (I use Amazon.com) as manufacturers often sell the meters at a low cost then charge a premium for the supplies.

Fuskie
Who would check with your health insurance company because they may have an arrangement where you can get a monitor for free...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Titan International (TWI), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: http://tinyurl.com/FoolCode
i am looking to purchase my 1st blood glucose monitor.

See if your insurance covers it. If so, they will tell you which makes/models are covered.

Strips and lancets for the meter are usually covered by Medicare. You can pick them up at your local drug store or do mail order.

I have been using the Lifescan OneTouch Ultra II since early 2008, when I was diagnosed. It will store up to 500 historic readings. There is software from Lifescan to read the meter and store them on your computer. I download the readings every quarter (=90 days, so 180 readings) using their USB cable that also plugs into the meter. I do that in order to see historic trends--and where things changed.

It can be as simple, or complex, as you want it to be.
I use the One Touch Ultra 2. It's what my doctor suggested. I've had no trouble with it since I got it several years ago.

Ted