Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061122/AUTO01/611220416/1148

Not exactly a huge surprise.

Faced with a steep drop in demand for the family vehicles, GM confirmed Tuesday that it has scrapped plans to build new minivan models that would have debuted as early as 2009 under Chevrolet, Saturn and other nameplates.

"We do believe it is a declining segment," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told The News on Tuesday. "Our new crossovers, Acadia, Outlook and Enclave with their three rows of seats and economical V-6 engines, can meet the same customer needs, minus the 'Soccer Mom' stigma."

What stigma? Personally, I find the sliding doors much more convienient than regular doors to get a toddler in and out of a child seat.

Of course, maybe it is a good thing that GM is dumping minivans. We just looked at minivans recently; GM's are inferior, for a variety of reasons.

I don't think that GM ever got the minivan right," said Eric Merkle, forecasting director at IRN Inc., a consulting firm in Grand Rapids.

The early Lumina APV, made from 1990-96, "looked like a Dust Buster," Merkle said.

Heh.

- Jeff
Print the post Back To Top
My life was poisoned for 9 months by a Pontiac Transport: it was cheap, but no amount of savings makes it worth owning a car that is ugly, unreliable and costly to run. If they can't do better than that, they might as well exit the segment and leave it to Chrysler and the Japs.

d (Proud soccer Dad)
Thank heavens.

Jedi
Thank heavens.

Jedi

LOL
No. of Recommendations: 1
Why is that funny?

If you just don't have luck selling green apples, but do ok with carrots and red apples, why not stop stocking green ones, and fight in the arena that you are stronger in?

It's a good step. If we stock a measly 5 vans for no reason, that's $150,000 in inventory I pay insurance and interest on. I welcome this move.

Jedi
"My life was poisoned for 9 months by a Pontiac Transport: it was cheap, but no amount of savings makes it worth owning a car that is ugly, unreliable and costly to run."

Your results may vary.

We loved the looks on our TransPort, it was extremely reliable (except per below) and not an issue to run. The only issue related to window regulator switches. Sometimes the "up" function would not work if it had rained. That was an aggravation maybe three times.

Other than that, we were also pleased by it's quiet and good gas mileage.

Rob
I see nothing, nothing but goodness in this decision. GM minivans from an engineering stand point are light years behind all of the competition. IMHO hopeless behind and they were never, ever, even close to being a leader in this segment. This is a very wise move to allocate R&D and marketing dollars into more rewarding opportunities.

THRILLED they did this!
My '98 Pontiac Transport Montana was a complete, total POS. When it ran, I did love it - the problem was it absolutely lived in the shop and had over $11K of warranty repairs done in just 37K miles. It is also the last "dealer demo" vehicle I will ever buy. With over 7K miles on it at pick up I asked for all the maintanence records to find out after the fact - THERE WERE NONE!!!