Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
gmatsumoto,

Thank you for the excellent anlaysis of an analytical failure. Your points are all valid, beautifully researched, cross checked, well written. Exactly what any publisher would be looking for, right? Wrong. What you have presented will sell not one column inch of advertising. What Mr. Donlan wrote will have advertisers (especially any CSCO competitors) slavering to place ads in the publication, especially if placed in conjunction with any future efforts by Mr. Donlan (that's called 'preferential placing' usually gets a 20-30% premium!). I know this, I worked for a publisher for fifteen years.

I don't know Mr. Donlan's credentials, I do know that Barrons, like Business Week, like Wall Street Journal, like TheStreet.com, like. . . ad inf., are in the business of making money, like all companies. The WSJ that lands on my doorstep each AM probably weighs in at three pounds, 1.5 pounds of advertising, .5 pounds of white space and 1.0 pounds of actual journalistic output. (Will Rogers said, "all I know is what I read in the newspaper". Do you suppose he was being literal?)

I have crossed swords with many journalists in the past, I felt they were doing a disservice to their readers. I have been roasted in public print, gotten snotty (while literate) emails (they emphasise literacy in journalism school) and, in general, very little satisfaction. They have control of the medium. They won't print what you say, or only edited parts of it, edited to make you look like a fool (small "f").

The lesson to be learned is, know that you are right, know that your research beats theirs, invest with your heart and mind, make a lot of money, buy the publishing house and fire their sorry a---s, don't get mad, get even.

Keep up the good work.

Joe
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.