No. of Recommendations: 0
Board,

what do you think of this decision:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23919.html

Excerpt:
Gnome to be based on .NET - de Icaza
By Andrew Orlowski in New York
Posted: 01/02/2002 at 17:56 GMT

How much do you love Microsoft's .NET? Enough to trust your Gnome applications to its APIs in the future?

That's what Gnome leader Miguel de Icaza, believes should happen.

How are chances that this will not be another doomed emulation effort of a proprietary MSFT API the got stuck at the 99% mark (Remember Sun's WABI, Linux WINE, the MS Office filters in StarOffice)? That there will be a 100% full-featured .NET implementation for Linux that lives longer than the next MSFT update?

My personal view is chances are low and therefore GNOME 3.0 will never fly, but I may lack information.

I confess I am a little biased, since I am long SUNW, the very company some members of this board claimed "scared to death" because of Larry's Linux comments. BTW, I think otherwise on that topic, please visit the SUNW board for the details.

When .NET "takes over the world" SUNW is toast. What .NET is missing is credibility, especially in the Open Systems world (where I equally put Linux and Solaris into). GNOME moving to .NET is a big step forward gaining credibility.

Rolf

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.