Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Go NaNoWriMo! I'd never written more than three pages of consecutive narrative fiction, but took the plunge as well. I'm tired and firing on five out of eight cylanders at best right now. I do have 5,200+ words behind me and one doozy of a plot hurdle looming. Woo-hooo! It'd be good to clarify just who the bad guys actually are and what the heck they're doing.

It helped to talk up a friend who had already published fiction to do this with me. It also helped to spend much of October taking "baby steps" writing free form snippets from time to time. This board's recommendation of Stephen King's "On Writing" was a good suggestion as well.

I scheduled a clump of vacation time in November to try and help get stuff on paper.

NaNoWriMo is especially cool for a wannabe whe has not done much of anything in the past. The emphasis is on just getting words on paper and skipping the critical self editing for now. That may get me over the hurdle into actually getting something done.

Who knows, maybe I'll clean up my first chapter and put something up here.

Cheers,

JohnH
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.