Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 86
http://www.springfieldtrifest.com/default.asp?id=27&mnu=27

The middleaged fat guy who finished 272nd out of 274 in the triathlon
yesterday

still gets to keep the t-shirt, because he finished.

The great thing about finishing my first triathlon in two hours and
twentyeight minutes is that there's so much room for improvement.

Competing in my first triathlon was one of the most emotionally satisfying experiences of my entire life. Everyone was so incredibly encouraging. Coming out of the lake after the open water swim, there was still a crowd on the dock cheering. Every time somebody passed me on the bike and run, and I got passed a lot, I heard "good job" "keep it up" "stay focused" "you can do it". My wife and older stepson were there at every transition cheering and waving. And the evil friend who talked me into this madness, who had plenty of time after she finished to gather up my bike, my towel, and all my other junk and load it into the truck, she was there too, already talking about the next one.

And there will be a next one. I figure I just need to join a swim club and lose another twentyfive pounds and hit it hard this winter and I can knock most of an hour off my time.

I'm just proud to say I didn't quit.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.