No. of Recommendations: 2
GoCowboys said:

I strongly disagree with you. ... The spirit behind antitrust laws is consumer choice, and WE are the consumers - WE THE CUSTOMERS/CONSUMERS are what drives antitrust issues. Antitrust issues were not meant to protect the large corporations (look at AT&T in 1984) - they were meant to protect US FROM the corporations.

You're focusing on Wal-Mart as a representative member of the class action. Wal-Mart is not representative. On their own, Wal-Mart has the power to get what it wants. I assure you, if the class action is denied, then Wal-Mart will quietly settle and get most of what it wants, while small businesses and their customers will get the shaft. The class action is the only way that small businesses, which the antitrust laws intend to protect from large businesses, will get to come along for the ride.

Azotic said:

I don't like paying these fees. Would prices on many items be 1 or 2 percent less if credit cards didn't charge that fee? Perhaps, but that aspect of the picture isn't going to change. I just hate paying these fees that everyone wants to line up to assess when I elect to type in my PIN number.

Then don't type in your PIN number. :)

Seriously though, the way for customers to voice their unhappiness about fees is to boycott the services that charge them. I have gone well out of my way to find a credit card that won't charge me extra fees on my foreign currency purchases. I have refused to pay monthly fees for checking accounts. In some cities, this is very difficult, but there's usually a way.

You certainly can't expect Visa/Mastercard to change its policies based on customer complaints if the customer keeps using the service. Consumers have to put their money where their mouth is and seek out services that give them the value they want.

dan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.