Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
GoCowboys,

You wrote, Is the $2,500 you are going to use in one single account, or do you have other accounts from which you could draw additional funds?

In the application, there is a link to add other direct debits. Perhaps you could debit two accounts for $1,000 each, and another for $500. This would be a hassle, I agree, but it would allow you to get the bonus. You could also send in a check for the amount; however, it would take longer to get the account up and running this way.

I have a checking account and a regular individual brokerage account with check writing priveledges. I assume I can draft the brokerage account. I also have an ING Direct account I suppose I could draw on. I've never tried external ACH transfer with ING Direct and I wouldn't like to experiment with it here.

I wonder if I can just draft the same account three (3) times? I think I'll try that first.

I don't understand why they have a problem with larger amounts. I've recently had MBNA send my checking account $23,000 by ACH in one lump sum. I've also initiated rather large external, out-bound transfers, so I know my CU will accept them. I guess Citibank considers large electronic transfer to be too big a risk. I just don't see how they're less risky than sending a paper check.

I suppose this all suggests that inter-bank ACH transfers after the initial funding are going to be out of the question? I imagine support for such a feature is pretty rare even in online banking.

If I can fund the account at a later date (the offer terms say it must be funded by 12/31/02) and still earn the bonus, I could just get the Citibank account and ABA numbers and use Yahoo FundsTransfer (aka: CashEdge) to move the rest of the money around. The only problem there is that it takes the better part of a week just to set up and validate an account with CashEdge.

In any case, I assume I'll be setting the account up with CashEdge. That should make it easier and quicker to liquidate the account when the time comes or I need the funds.

Since I have to pay 2 bills with their online bill payment service, I was going to send them $2,750. I'd use the extra $250 to pay bills. I'd collect the extra $1,000 by ACH once they've credited the bonus to my account.

I'm wondering... What kind of difficulties do you think Citibank is going to give me when I ask to close the account? Since I have to maintain a $1,500 balance with Citibank to avoid a fee, simply doing an ACH transfer out won't cut it. I suppose this means that I'm going to have to have Citibank send me a check? I hate that. I'm always fearful that the mail will get lost or stolen and getting the check re-issued could be a problem. Perhaps I should ACH-out everything except the amount required by a monthly service fee. Then I can call and close the account and if they want to write me a check for anything remaining, any loss due to the USPS won't be a big deal.

Hey! Are they going to make me pay for paper checks? Not that I need them; but writing a paper check to clean out the account would be an easy option. ING also requires me to send in a paper check to link another account, which is a bit of a nuisance.

You know, I've really gotten to the point where I hate dealing with paper checks and the USPS.

Anyway, just thinking aloud...

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.