Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
God knows I don't want to start anything, and I ask this with the utmost humility, but why should it make any difference? The question posed is hardly of the Yahoo QCOM sucks I shorted it at 180 yur all idiots type. Isn't there even the scintilla of a possibility that the market may be right?

Hi, db

I don't want to 'start anything' either, but your question(s) deserve a response.

The original post to which I responded read, in part:

If someone such as the scandinavian duo comes up with a defensible technique to replicate some of QCOM's CDMA IP without infringing or comes up with a better scheme that is compatible then QCOM then QCOM's IP becomes marginalized. Without the IP QCOM has a problem. In order for QCOM to win it has to convince the world that its IP is a) very good and b) that it is impossible or very expensive to develop an alternative. At present I am not convinced that QCOM has this IP thing nailed. But I welcome all input to the contrary.

Now, what I was trying to get at, admittedly in shorthand, is that no one can 'know' that QCOM's claim to CDMA IP will always stand up, and will never be circumvented. No one can 'know' that CDMA will be the premiere technology for implementation of 3G networks; no one can 'know' when 4G networks will be introduced; etc. There is an awful lot that no one can 'know'.

But, we do have QCOM's opinions on the first three points (IP rights, circumvention, 3G technology). And, as far as I have been able to determine, there is no other opinion that I should value more. If that's not good enough for an investor, then he or she should invest elsewhere in my opinion.

I'm done with this subject now on this board. If you want to discuss it further, please email me.

Terry
... apologizes once more ...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.