No. of Recommendations: 0
Ok as someone who loves Superman (the real one) i've had a week or so to counsel myself to NOT compare this new version to the old one, as I'll just be disappointed. So I've accepted that it'll have to fit with toda's culture: Darker, more violent, less heart.

That being said I'm curious to see the variation on the General Zod - Superman conflict and I hope that as a stand-alone movie, it'll be good.

I love day showings because they are cheaper, and more often than not, the cinema is almost empty.

I don't feel like $5 popcorn and I eat too much butter when I do that, so I think I''ll induldge in a guilty pleasure and smuggle in some SunChips to munch on.

Gotta love weekdays.

JediG
Print the post Back To Top
may the force be with you.....take ear plugs Jedi....it's loud, it's tedious, be prepared for almost 3 hrs of loud noise and disappointing plot line........or not. :)

let us know if you like it or not.
Report back on it Jedi. DW and I are going to see the 3d version tomorrow. My 28 yo son said it was awesome! It is dark, but it is closer to the comic book version. It also does not have as much indepth footage of Lois and Clark love thingy, which is a huge plus for me.

I don't like it when they over due the love affairs with super heroes. For example, the last superman was sappy IMHO. I liked it, but I guess they feel they have to add all that in to atract female viewers.

I want to see them beat up/kill bad guys.

Metal
No. of Recommendations: 1
It also does not have as much indepth footage of Lois and Clark love thingy, which is a huge plus for me.

probably for Lois too... http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html
After the initial previews of Superman a few months ago, I was excited about watching it. Then the reviews came out and it doesn't appear to be a very good movie. Decent perhaps. Over the years, I've really lowered my expectations for summer blockbuster movies, since they are more laden with special effects and action, since it's a time when kids are out of school and have time for theaters.

I saw Star Trek a couple of months ago. It was relatively good movie....yes full of logic and plot holes, as usual. But given all that, it was a decent movie.

For the really good movies, you need to wait until the last 2-3 months of the year (Oct - Dec). The purposely release the best films toward the end of the year so that the Academy Award voters will remember them when selecting the best films occurs.
LordFoolman
After the initial previews of Superman a few months ago, I was excited about watching it. Then the reviews came out and it doesn't appear to be a very good movie. Decent perhaps. Over the years, I've really lowered my expectations for summer blockbuster movies, since they are more laden with special effects and action, since it's a time when kids are out of school and have time for theaters.

I saw Star Trek a couple of months ago. It was relatively good movie....yes full of logic and plot holes, as usual. But given all that, it was a decent movie.

For the really good movies, you need to wait until the last 2-3 months of the year (Oct - Dec). The purposely release the best films toward the end of the year so that the Academy Award voters will remember them when selecting the best films occurs.

I could be wrong and I may have to re-evaluate tomorrow, but in my experience, liberals do most of the reviewing and if the movie does not have an anti-business, anti-religion, anti-American, or anti something conservative theme....they don't like it.

Alex Jones liked it because it had an anti-globalist theme.

Metal
I could be wrong and I may have to re-evaluate tomorrow, but in my experience, liberals do most of the reviewing and if the movie does not have an anti-business, anti-religion, anti-American, or anti something conservative theme....they don't like it.

Alex Jones liked it because it had an anti-globalist theme.

Metal

>>>>>>>>
if you like lots of noise, death and destruction, computer generated monsters and aliens, you'll love this movie.

I'm so grateful I didn't spend bigger bucks to see the 3D or 3D/IMAX.
It also does not have as much indepth footage of Lois and Clark love thingy, which is a huge plus for me.

probably for Lois too... http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html

warrl

---------------

That's some funny sh!t there. For those who don't check links, it is well worth it if you like slightly twisted science....
if you like lots of noise, death and destruction, computer generated monsters and aliens, you'll love this movie.

Sounds like my kind of movie!

DW is looking forward to seeing the actor. I read about how he got in shape for the movie. Impressive. What you see our the real muscles. No padding.

Metal
ld

There is a theater about 15 minutes from my work in McKinney TX were we can see the 3D version for $5.50.

Metal
BHM
That's some funny sh!t there. For those who don't check links, it is well worth it if you like slightly twisted science....

Ya, it reminded me of one of the conversations the geeks have on "The Big Bang Theory".

Metal
Gee, I get to see Monster University today. I won't bother to tell you all about it.

arrete
Gee, I get to see Monster University today. I won't bother to tell you all about it.

arrete
>>>>>>

I heard that was funny, was it?

Sounds like my kind of movie!

DW is looking forward to seeing the actor. I read about how he got in shape for the movie. Impressive. What you see our the real muscles. No padding.

Metal
>>>>>
so did you see this movie or what?
"Ya, it reminded me of one of the conversations the geeks have on "The Big Bang Theory"." - Metal
----------------------------

The Big Bang Theory is one of my most favorite shows on TV. I can't wait till the new ones start back in the fall. Whoo-hoo! good times...

Art
"so did you see this movie or what?" - luckydog

I'm waiting for it to come out on Netflix so I can use the "pause" button and be in control of the volume. We sometimes watch movies in parts, stopping and starting movies, especially long ones, breaking up the really long movies sometimes by as much as a day or two.

But I am looking forward to Superman. I'm an Amy Adams fan and think she is a cutie-pie so I have enjoyed all of her movies so I'm sure I won't be disappointed by this one.

Art
The Big Bang Theory is one of my most favorite shows on TV.

I've never watched it. What's so funny about it?
Well, you would NEVER confuse any of the main characters with say a young Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis. As smart as they are, they are all social misfits and therefore never any real threat to any of the main female characters. In fact most of the female leads are able to toy with their heads like a cat does with a mouse.

Of course back in the day even Jerry and George openly admitted to not being "real men". Who could argue with that? There were many times when they were both physically and verbally intimidated by Elaine. What made the writing for Seinfeld great was that they had no qualms about making Elaine look even sillier than the guys in many episodes

So, I guess there is always a market for marginalizing a male leading character for humorous purposes. Ray Romano's character was always afraid of both his mother and his wife, two strong female characters. When it came time for the big laugh of a storyline, it was almost always at his expense, not his mom or his wife.

BG
"I've never watched it. What's so funny about it?" Catherine

Let's see if I can put it into words? I can relate to it. Keep in mind that I have a degree in Animal Science and I worked in research for 20 years.

The Big Bang Theory is about smart geeky science guys who do and say geeky science stuff and also have girlfriends and live a somewhat normal life. It's just a hoot....

Plus Penny is Hot Hot Hot!

Kaley Cuoco

http://www.bing.com/search?q=kaley+cuoco&qs=AS&form=...

Art
ld
so did you see this movie or what?

Tonight. Can't see the 3d version however. Too late for me, dw and dd to see and get back home. I've got to get up early and take dd to the airport. For a graduation present, my aunt who lives in CO is flying her up to Denver for a dinner and a play and some CO hiking for a few days.

Metal
The Big Bang Theory is one of my most favorite shows on TV. I can't wait till the new ones start back in the fall. Whoo-hoo! good times...

Art

I don't know if it's because I'm a geek at heart or what, but I think "The Big Bang Theory" is the best sitcom I've ever seen.

Metal
Art
The Big Bang Theory is about smart geeky science guys who do and say geeky science stuff and also have girlfriends and live a somewhat normal life. It's just a hoot....

As a math/science/sci-fi/comic book nerd myself, the jokes and situations they put together are hilarious. I like it when they bring celebrity nerds like Stephen Hawking, Steve Wozniak and Stan Lee. Then the celebs from sci-fi shows like Battle star Galactica, Star Trek and Terminator.

The references to Leonard Nimoy, superheroes, Star wars jokes. It's 30 minutes of pure pleasure.

Metal
I think "The Big Bang Theory" is the best sitcom I've ever seen.

I'll probably get hooked on it in syndication, like I did "Sex and the City," "Frasier" and "Golden Girls." The Hallmark Channel is my main source of TV fare.
No. of Recommendations: 2

arrete
>>>>>>

===========================

Actually it was funny. Big references to Animal House and Revenge of the Nerds. And every horror movie. Entertaining parents. And the best part was the ending

******* Spoiler alert *******

The main characters get kicked out of college, and start at Monsters, Inc. in the mailroom and work their way up! To be REALLY SCARY MONSTERS. That kind of message hasn't happened since the 1940s. It was interesting. And grandson loved it. We also discussed money as a store of value - yes, really. He asked why you can't just copy money.

arrete - I ate popcorn. So sue me. Only at movies.

Me too. About a week ago, I ate popcorn at the movies.....loaded on the butter (self served). Loaded on big time.

came home....3-4 hours later......sat on the stall forever....sick as hec. Not sure if related, but I think the butter lubed the runway, so to speak.
loaded on the butter (self served). Loaded on big time.

I doubt it was real butter.

Why don't movie theaters offer real buttered popcorn anymore?

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-5521...
This is what imparts the "butter" flavor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacetyl
"Me too. About a week ago, I ate popcorn at the movies.....loaded on the butter (self served). Loaded on big time. came home....3-4 hours later......sat on the stall forever....sick as hec. Not sure if related, but I think the butter lubed the runway, so to speak." - Foolman

Because it's not real butter. The "butter" they use in movie theaters is artificial stuff; some kind of trans-fat that will last forever. They do it so it doesn't ever get rancid. It's colored with yellow dye and salt added.

The chemists that make that stuff are really good at their trade. They know exactly how to add hydrogen to harden it. They know exactly at what temperature the solid fat will turn into a liquid.

Art
"I doubt it was real butter. Why don't movie theaters offer real buttered popcorn anymore?" - catherine

The real stuff costs way more and has to be refrigerated. The artificial stuff will last till the next millennium and is cheap as dirt.

The artificial stuff is designed to be the perfect consistency, taste, color, and saltiness to stick to popcorn without causing it to become soggy.

They know exactly how to make it melt at the perfect temperature.

Art
loaded on the butter (self served). Loaded on big time.

------------------

I've never liked butter on my popcorn. Gives you messy fingers.

arrete

arrete
>>>>>>

===========================

Actually it was funny. Big references to Animal House and Revenge of the Nerds. And every horror movie. Entertaining parents. And the best part was the ending

******* Spoiler alert *******

The main characters get kicked out of college, and start at Monsters, Inc. in the mailroom and work their way up! To be REALLY SCARY MONSTERS. That kind of message hasn't happened since the 1940s. It was interesting. And grandson loved it. We also discussed money as a store of value - yes, really. He asked why you can't just copy money.

>>>>>

Oh good, I want to see it......light hearted fun...love it, but I also want to see a chick flick, one that I know I will cry at....forget the name but it's about folks who get back together and talk about how their lives have changed since they were together.....a weeper. I usually do that alone. I have this friend who's very stoic...she wouldn't be good and then this other woman who's into shootemups and loud stuff and bad movies....she wouldn't be interested I don't think.

Monsters U alright!!!
We saw in in digital and it was one action packed movie. I really liked it. They did a good job of what you would think would happen when superhumans go at against each other. Wow!

DW like it but thought there was too much fighting.

I liked "Avengers" a little better last year. But this one is definately a great super hero movie.

Metal
We saw in in digital and it was one action packed movie. I really liked it. They did a good job of what you would think would happen when superhumans go at against each other. Wow!

DW like it but thought there was too much fighting.

I liked "Avengers" a little better last year. But this one is definately a great super hero movie.

Metal

Thanks for the review, my wife wants to see it, and it sounds right up her alley.
"DW like it but thought there was too much fighting." - Metal

Good! That means I'll like it! <grin!> I won't get bored. We watch some movies and my wife has to cover her eyes. I used to like watching Dirty Harry and Charles Bronson movies. I like it when the bad guys get their just reward.

When I was a kid I loved reading Superman comic books..... I'm also really looking forward to seeing the new Star Trek movie.

Art
I like it when the bad guys get their just reward.

Now, now, Art. That's a "here" thing...not a "there" thing. ;-)

Just ask yourself why justice is so satisfying to you.
Me too. About a week ago, I ate popcorn at the movies.....loaded on the butter (self served). Loaded on big time.

came home....3-4 hours later......sat on the stall forever....sick as hec. Not sure if related, but I think the butter lubed the runway, so to speak.

Do you find that your pee smells like popcorn butter after you've indulged? I've had that experience.
No. of Recommendations: 3

Why don't movie theaters offer real buttered popcorn anymore?

Clerk: Do you want the Medium size or the middle size?

Elaine: What's the difference?

Clerk: Well, we have three sizes. Medium, Large, and Jumbo.

Elaine: [momentarily perplexed] What happened to the small?

Clerk: There is no small. Small is Medium.

Elaine: What's... medium?

Clerk: Medium is Large, and large is Jumbo.

Elaine: Oh-kay. Gimme the large.

Clerk: That's medium.

Elaine: Right. Yeah. [fearing the answer] Could I have a small popcorn?

Clerk: There is no small. [flash of perky inspiration] Child-size is small.

Elaine: What's `medium'?

Clerk: Adult.

Elaine: Do adults ever order the child-size?

Clerk: [chuckling] Not usually.

Elaine: [laughs appreciably] Okay, gimme the `adult'.

Clerk: Do you want butter?

Elaine: Is it *real* butter?

Clerk: [perkily] It's butter-*flavored*!

Elaine: [exasperated] What is it made of?

Clerk: [perkily] It's yellow!
I've never liked butter on my popcorn. Gives you messy fingers.

arrete

That's why Gardenbunny invented napkins. <grin>
Do you find that your pee smells like popcorn butter after you've indulged? I've had that experience.

Kinda like the asparagus phenomenon.
"Now, now, Art. That's a "here" thing...not a "there" thing. ;-)

Just ask yourself why justice is so satisfying to you." - Catherine

Exactly. I'm not God. God is Love. He's also much smarter and omniscient than I am. He sees the big picture.

Art
God is Love.

He sure is, but He's also just. He's also brilliant, which is why He conceived the plan of salvation.

http://usminc.org/images/MereChristianitybyCSLewis.pdf
"He sure is, but He's also just. He's also brilliant, which is why He conceived the plan of salvation." - Catherine

You are in for such a surprise. It ain't gonna be anything like you think it is.

Art
God is Love.
==========

He is also just and wrathful.
You are in for such a surprise. It ain't gonna be anything like you think it is.
===============================================

How do YOU know? On what authority?

Well, based on reading posts, I would say that he is sure of God's perfection in the creation of the after life he expects, because God regularly royally screws up and lets folks in then finds out the paperwork is not in order and ships them back here. So the reports from these folks can be seen as proof.

His own. And therein lies the rub.
Well, based on reading posts, I would say that he is sure of God's perfection in the creation of the after life he expects, because God regularly royally screws up and lets folks in then finds out the paperwork is not in order and ships them back here. So the reports from these folks can be seen as proof.

A brilliant summation! ;-)
Good! That means I'll like it! <grin!> I won't get bored. We watch some movies and my wife has to cover her eyes. I used to like watching Dirty Harry and Charles Bronson movies. I like it when the bad guys get their just reward.

When I was a kid I loved reading Superman comic books..... I'm also really looking forward to seeing the new Star Trek movie.

Art

The new Star Trek Movie is very good as well. Iron Man 3 was good.

Going to see World War Z this week. I still need to see Oblivion. Probably will catch that at the $ theator.

Metal
"Going to see World War Z this week. I still need to see Oblivion. Probably will catch that at the theater." - Metal
-----------------------------

I just can't get into Zombie's for some reason. Don't know why. I really like Vampire movies and TV shows , a few Werewolves thrown in are okay, but for some reason I don't have any interest in Zombies? Is Oblivion the new post Apocalyptic Will Smith movie with his son Jaden? Let us know how you liked it?

Sunday night is a big night of TV viewing for us. Tonight at 8:00 pm the new Season of Dexter starts on Showtime, then at 9:00 pm it's "Copper" on BBC America, and then at 10:00 pm it's "True Blood" on HBO. There are a whole bunch of shows that come on Sunday nights and it's difficult to watch them all so some of them I have to watch On Demand. We also like "Drop Dead Diva" on Lifetime but it comes on at 8:00 pm opposite Dexter so we have to watch it On Demand.

Iron Man III is in the saved portion of our Netflix Queue.

Art
art
Is Oblivion the new post Apocalyptic Will Smith movie with his son Jaden? Let us know how you liked it?

No...that would be "After Earth". DW and I saw that. It was pretty good but I was hoping to see more of WIll Smith as the action hero and not his son. Just not convincing for a kid to be a bad a$$. Good special effects and interesting tech though.

Oblivion is another post apocalyptic movie with Tom Cruise. Still have not seen it.

Metal