No. of Recommendations: 1
Just curious if anyone here buys gold coins beyond coin collecting? If so, why and where?

Also, they aren't tracked like stocks/bonds etc. I buy one now and sell 10 years from now, who knows or proves what my cap gains were?

JLC
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Also, they aren't tracked like stocks/bonds etc. I buy one now and sell 10 years from now, who knows or proves what my cap gains were?

Its unregistered personal property... chattel. Buy, sell or trade gold coins, glass beads, or lawn mowers, the only way anyone else knows your gains/losses is if you tell them.
Ditto all collectables. Art, antiques, stamps, etc.
The difference between gpld coins and other popular collectibles like, say, baseball cards, is that gold can lose value....quickly. plus coins are subject to huge bid-ask spreads when they are bought and sold.

If a gold or precious metal, hedge is what you seek, stick with a gold mutual fund or ETF.

BruceM
Recently, I attended a "garage sale" and the seller had some gold nuggets for sale. He did not know the value so I offerred him $1000 for three troy ounces of nuggest. I had them tested and weighed locally and all was good. I hope I did well. A local dealer offerred me $5000 for package.

Any thoughts on whether or not to sell or hold on to them? Thanks,
What would you do?

PSU
My thought was to take the profit and invest in my retirement stock funds.