No. of Recommendations: 4
Happy New Year in Cantonese. I think. It's what I learned when I lived in San Francisco, where I was able to enjoy the parade in person.

In Mandarin, it's Gong Xi Fa Cai.

https://chinesenewyear.net/food/

I have pork chops for dinner today. Instead of my planned German pork chops w/sauerkraut and apples sauteed in butter & cinnamon, I think I'll get some Chinese vegetables and do a pork stir-fry.

I wonder if SP is seething over my Asian food preference and knowledge of a single Chinese holiday and expression. hmmm...what else have I eaten this past week...shrimp cacciatore (oh no, that's Italian!), mojo chicken (Cuban!), beef stroganoff (Russian!), salmon teryaki (Japanese!), and now Chinese pork! Bruunches/lunches have included cream of cauliflower soup (French), sushi (Japanese), potato omelet (Spanish), eggs benedict arnold (French a la alstro), and salads (Greek and Italian style).

What is American food anyway? Burgers and hotdogs (aren't they German?), pizza/pasta (Italian), burritos (Mexican), casseroles (not into them, although I did like tuna casserole as a teen/young adult). Apple pie?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
What is American food anyway?
Cornbread is one .
Ah, yes. Native foods...corn, squashes, pumpkins, lima beans (maybe some other beans, like pintos?), peppers, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, wild rice, blueberries, cranberries, maple syrup, sunflower seeds, peanuts... not to mention bison, deer, rabbits(?), ducks, turkey, trout, salmon, cod, flounder, lobster, shrimp, clams, crabs... Luckily there was wild onion & garlic and hopefuly more herbs, if not the ones we're used to these days.

Now I'm wishing for the post Art would've made about what he would eaten in the US 500 years ago... bear? raccoon? possum?

IIRC, the settlers brought honey bees as well as cattle, pigs, chickens, the horse, and their favorite fruits & vegetables. I'm kind of amazed at the variety of life that naturalized successfully here.
No. of Recommendations: 3
What is American food anyway?

Steak. An expensive rarity in the East, less common in Europe, plentiful in America thanks to the abundant prairie in the west.

Potatoes, we have a whole state named after them. OK, other way around.

Barbecue. Wood is also dear in Japan and Europe, over cut by years of industry and not so plentiful forests.

Grits, because who else would eat them?
TOTALLY ASIDE
I fixed raw veggies & homemade hummus for lunch. Alas, I peeled a small spot on my left middle finger's top little knuckle along w/the carrots (in my defense, the hubster was crawling around my feet at the time, picking up cucumber & carrot ends that had rolled off the cutting board and onto the floor--he's OCD you might recall and can;t wait to deal with things-), and it's been bleeding for over an hour. grrr...I was gonna wash the bedding today...

I had to pick up something at Walmart today and took a gander at their produce. Much improved over the last time I checked it out, so I actually bought a few things rather than stop elsewhere... bok choy, pea pods, scallions, ginger root, frozen organic berries, frozen Michaelangelo's eggplant parmesan (emergency rations). They now carry Ezekial bread and Dave's Killer bread (but not the Sola low0carb bread I was looking for). I picked up rice vinegar, but they don;t carry the sesame oil and soy sauce I like--or fermented black beans. They carry half-lb packets of dred black beans and split peas so I picked up one of each. And canned salmon.
Potatoes, we have a whole state named after them.

And the Yukon ;-)

Excellent point about steak and BBQ. Let me be the first to add fried chicken ;-) And cauliflower rice?1
This was one of the best Chinese dishes I've ever made.

I sliced up the pork chops and boiled the bones for pork broth.

A couple hours later I stir fried the pork w/grated ginger and pressed garlic in sesame oil till it was half done and removed from wok. Then I stir fried 1/4 onion, a box of mushrooms (no shiitakes at walmart--I used button mushrooms), and thickly sliced "adult" bok choy--stems and leaves. I added some oyster sauce, soy sauce, and the pork broth--enough to make this a thick soup rather than a stir fry, tossed in a half-cylinder of soba noodles, and when nearly done, stirred in the semi-cooked pork and marinade, and finally sprinkled in some Japanese hot pepper. I must've gotten the proportions just right--not to mention the pork broth!--because this was SO scrumptious. There's enough left for tomorrow's lunch if I add some pea pods and tofu, which I have.