No. of Recommendations: 15
Good afternoon Bill,

You said: Do libel and slander laws exist? Have you ever heard of them? Do you think they apply to you, at all.

Yes, I think most of us have heard of libel and slander laws and I agree they apply to us all. However, I have been told by several attorneys that it's very hard to prove monetary damages from libelist statements. Most of the posters on the Yahoo board were criticizing the analyst and his motives and now CSFB is splitting hairs by dissecting their sentences in order to SHUT THEM UP. Stifle their dissent. It's like they are saying; "How dare you question our analyst or his motives, even if he is wrong!"

I know posters can't say an analyst is a criminal without providing proof. However, In America we can speculate, and say, "I think" that analyst might be a criminal because he did this or he did that. Isn't that correct? The key words here are;" I think and might be". I hear worse things said about President Bill Clinton in the media and in our own AOL Fool chat room almost every week and no lawyers from the White House have showed up yet. :)

Have you considered that Switzerland's Credit Suisse bank only bought out First Boston a few years ago and moved into our markets in a much bigger way? Even though Switzerland is a democracy and their citizens hold referendums on many things concerning their local governments, they also have a very elitist class that does NOT take criticism lightly.

In my opinion it would have been very unlikely that you would have seen such a law suit filed against the Elan 11 on behalf of a analyst by firms such as Merrill Lynch, DLJ, Morgan Stanley, E F. Hutton or Salomon Smith Barney. That is, unless CSFB wins and bankrupts most of the Elan investors who posted their analysis and opinions on the Yahoo message board. If that happens, then I think our Freedom of Speech will be greatly in peril.

Bill if I were an attorney I would love to debate you in a Dueling Fool about Freedom of Speech on the Internet and I appreciate the offer. I hope we have a Duel on this subject too. Please keep following this story because in my opinion, the outcome of this lawsuit can effect us all.

Keep Foolish and Prosper,

Spirit
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.