Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
This just in!

From the l'union fait la force Board, (Post # 3330):

In the midst of all this trouble and strife, TinkerShaw has just taken the time to report the joyful news that "at least my wife is happy and fully expecting."

And the happy mother-to-be apparently knows it to be twins because she is looking forward to "a double." (Fully expecting, indeed!) Tinker accepts the wifely foresight in this regard because, as he wisely aknowledges, "wives are seldom wrong" in such matters.

Let's all join in wishing the happy couple all the best!

Mike

(vbg!)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
TinkerShaw doesn't know me from Adam, but I know him from his postings here and elsewhere.

Heartfelt congratulations to the happy couple!

Terry
TinkerShaw Congratulations on this good news. Always enjoy your post.

Nainman
No. of Recommendations: 2
It's a joke!

Read the post

woodmaker
Congrats to Mike and his family!!!

Since I invest in some of the same companies as he does...I hope that not only does his wife produce healthy doubles, but that his port does as well!

Dreamer (not quite married yet...will settle for the latter doubles)
Whoops!!!!

OCD time (obsessive compulsive disorder for posting errors)

2 errors of note:

1.) I meant Tinker where I wrote Mike....guess I was confusing Tinker with Mike Buckley for some reason...they both have great posts here often.

2.) I failed to read ahead...apparently it was a joke.

hrumph!

I guess if there are any GG posters out there that are expecting a new addition(s) to their families...well, then I guess you can kind of squint over the "Mike" part and then pretend I was writing to you.

Guess this market dive has made me a little loopy in the head...assuming I was not always this way...maybe I should not assume anything...after all, I assumed by now that my account would be up about 55%...hrumph!

Dreamer
congrats to tinkershaw. gives one some perspective. i.e. the framers had it right: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and screw the markets. Go tinker.
No. of Recommendations: 1

No disrespect to TinkerShaw or the TinkerShaw marital community intended by the above post. (Anybody who knows les palmares de Greg Lemond has got my respect.) Thought the tongue-in-cheek would come through.

But the good wishes of so many were real, and they should be encouraging to everyone.

Assigning myself to the penalty box for the rest of the weekend.

Mike
Attaboy Tinker! Congratulation to you and your wife.
My wife gave us twins 9 1/2 months ago, one boy and one girl. Definitely the high point of my life.

There is but one conundrum...whaddaya gonna do for an education IRA? At only $500 per year it's tough to purchase stocks. Uh-oh...a mutual fund? :)

Best of luck
Dan
Dan wrote:

There is but one conundrum...whaddaya gonna do for an education IRA? At only $500 per year it's tough to purchase stocks. Uh-oh...a mutual fund?

Yes, congratulations goes to the Shaws for the exciting news. I guess it is time to get a job, Tinker. ;-)

I did take advantage of the educational IRA for both my children as soon as it became available. I didn't spend too much time shopping around, but went with the American/20th Century Ultra Fund for both kids and in spite of the correction we are in - even at only $500 contribution per year, the returns to date have been doing just fine. Mabye in another 12 years when my son enters college, the investments in the educational IRA will provide for a few milkshakes and hot lunches. <ggg> Not sure it is the best vehicle for investment, but combined with an UTMA/UGMA brokerage account our children can enjoy the benefits of being long term investors as well.

By the way, I neglected to provide the link for the long term Nasdaq (ICIX) chart:

http://www.bigcharts.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=nasdaq&sid=3291&o_symb=nasdaq&freq=2&time=20&x=74&y=13

or the same time frame for the Dow Jones (DJIA):

http://www.bigcharts.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=djia&sid=1643&o_symb=djia&freq=2&time=20

or for some of the companies we know and love to see how they performed since 1983 through the list of correction/recovery phases in technology (including the current correction thus far):

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/research/comp_chart.gsp?cs=INTC&cs=EMC&cs=MSFT&cs=ORCL&cs=CSCO&cs=JDSU&cs=DELL&n=212&p=month

Intel: +14,333 %

Microsoft: +38,715 %

Cisco: +141,614 %

Oracle: +49,476 %

EMC: +29,233 %

JDSU: +29,876 %

Dell: +48,637 %

Not bad, these technology adoption life cycles that is....

BB

Congratulations Tinker,

We all hope that your wife has a smooth pregnancy. I hope the kids get your wife's looks and your brains.

You're not smart and good looking too, are ya?

Good luck,
Paul
Congrats Tinker.

Your good news helps put last week in perspective.
A joke re Tinker? Never mind -- now my perspective on last week is all gone.
<There is but one conundrum...whaddaya gonna do for an education IRA? At only $500 per year it's tough to purchase stocks. Uh-oh...a mutual fund? :)>

QQQ?

OmRonnie

<There is but one conundrum...whaddaya gonna do for an education IRA? At only $500 per year it's tough to purchase stocks. Uh-oh...a mutual fund? :)>

I'll just do what I do with my mother's portfolio who doesn't have much more than that much money. Put it into the most speculative biggest upside stocks I can find and guarantee the principal. Hey, a lottery ticket was good enough for my educational fund from my parents. Problem was the account summed $0.00 come time for college. Oh well, nothing like student loans, grants and work-study.

Tinker