Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Good points all. My brother in law is a rabid soda drinker even though he knows it's bad for him and he bought one of these a couple of years ago and still uses it. The main constraint that he used to complain about was that he could only buy them at bed bath and beyond... and while I haven't looked at the numbers lately I suspect they are still the major supplier (in fact I have seen some people argue that they should just buy out SODA). But now I have seen the machine in Wal*Mart and other places so I'm not as concerned about that issue.

Regarding brand loyalty, nobody does marketing as well as Coke but even their own recent behavior such as the 2 minute commercial suggests that all of the new evidence coming out about just how big a contributor soda has been to obesity in our country and Bloomberg's attacks are actually working. You see them using the same type of arguments that big tobacco used: multiple causes of the problem, no randomized trials, etc. As you said, Hewitt, I think that the desire for lower calorie beverages is growing rapidly, and have seen many of my female friends switching to Polar carbonated beverages...the ability to control the amount of sugar with the sodastream machine is a big advantage. I've liked the numbers on SODA enough to add it to caps ages ago but never was fully convinced enough that it wasn't a fad to put real money into it. But seeing you mention it makes me want to give it a closer look.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.