No. of Recommendations: 1
Good points, Fuskie.

Your observation, "while the ISPs say they won't abuse their newfound power, there will be nothing stopping and the drive to grow revenue. They will start in on the edges of acceptance and see how much they can get away with and before you know it, you will be picking internet providers based on the content they allow you to access." is spot on.

I recall one of the arguments driving cable when it was initially introduced is that one could purchase a subscription and watch television commercial-free. We all know where that went. History is very clear. If the opportunity exists, advantage will be exploited.

My driving concern is underestimating the measure of limitation that small businesses and startups will be saddled with. They will be throttled by a "gamed" playing field and as a result innovation and small interests will be muzzled. This has to figure into a reasoned speculation in the marketplace.

I suspect that many of the companies that have done so well, would perhaps not have come to fruition had the method of information and delivery (World Wide Web) been constrained such as these new regulations propose.

I suspect this may be a economic game-changer. The question is how to prepare for it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.