Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Good post; please keep digging. Would appreciate your sharing your final personal conclusion on a good entry point and what conditions you place on it.

Vis a vis a JR maglev order: One of our known unknowns is, what does the majority of the 2003, AMSC/Sumitomo agreement on cross-licensing of 1g contain? I'm guessing that 2g is discussed in general; and 2g applications inside Japan in particular.

Now, 2003 was a long time ago, and times have changed; the 1-g cross-licensing that is ostensibly the main part of the agreement was because 1-g was intended at that time to be the wire of production through 2010, even by AMSC's schedule. They intended on selling ship motors, SuperVars, etc. etc. with one-g wire for years. That all changed in 2005, when they made real breakthroughts in both 2-g producibility and, somewhat surprisingly, performance. They made the command decision to stop 1-g production years earlier than planned (last wire was May 31st of this year; still sitting on the floor in Massachusetts)). They burned their 1-g ships, and set sail into the unknown with 2-g alone. No backups.

Right now, getting to wire production breakeven on 2-g will happen with 10-cm wide tape production, yielding 2 million meters per year of 2nd gen wire. I bring that up because they have already gotten requests to provide quotes from two utilities - and each of those requests is for 2 million. A production rate that, even at their own schedule, they won't get to till 2010 (practically). And several things have to happen between now and then.

The Massachusetts factory - assuming 2nd gen really works, price and performance wise at all, can become fairly saturated fairly quickly just with utility orders. (That may be an overstatement on my part - but not by much). IF AMSC feels it can reach a cross-licensing/royalty agreement et al with Sumitomo to produce in Japan, I think they'd go for it, knowing they might not be able to fill the order, anyway.

I know we're a couple of levels deep here; but it's not an unreasonable supposition. Also, knowing a little about how the Japanese business world sometimes work - or at least how JR sometimes works -- I'm curious about what verbal assurances AMSC gave about 'real' production of 2g, when they provided the 1-g samples for last years' maglev tests.

Nothing is over till its over. But, between the secret parts of the 2003 1-g cross-licensing agreement - plus whatever side discussions happened with JR, what the 'understandings' are - I bet that's been discussed and we're not being told. Plus, AMSC is not without some leverage here: I mean, assuming AMSC stays ahead in the producible 2-g wire game.....if Sumitomo doesn't want to give a good agreement, AMSC could always say they'll set up their Asian production base in China or something. That would scare the $hit out of the Japanese. Not only for their own local reasons, either; because it would short-circuit Japanese competition for the China high speed rail market.

Interesting times.

jp
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.