Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Good thoughts jrr7

I took your advice and called Sprint from the number on my bill. They verified that my account has been flagged for fraud. 300 dollars worth of calls in the past 10 days! I suggested that they change my telephone number but they asked that I not do that yet because they are investigating the fraud and changing my number would impede the investigation. They assured me I would not be charged for any aditional charges to my number.

They would not give me any information regarding who the calls were made to or the time of day, due to their investigation.

I checked my dial-up connection and it says it is connecting through the local ISP # that I unstructed it to use when I set it up. This is a new computer and was only 4 days old when the calls began.

So, I still don't know if this is coming from my computer or my telephone line. I guess I will do a complete restore of my system to ensure that any unwanted programs are wiped off, since antivirus isn't picking anything up. This will work, yes?

Restoring my system might hurt the phone company's investigation if it is coming from my computer, but I need to make sure my computer is secure. Do you agree?

How do you protect your modem if it is not protected by the firewall?

Thanks for all the input!

-jekkel
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.