No. of Recommendations: 13
Wow! I knew today's announcement was coming some day for a couple of years now and after noticing that GG offering missing from TMF newsletter offerings, I knew it was near toast.

It has been a great journey so far and I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank Nate, Nathan, Cog and fellow posters who have enriched, amused and educated me over the years. GG has played an important role in my development as an investor.

I think I am a much better investor than Ron Gross and his team at MDP. So I will bid adieu here and collect a refund for the unused portion of my sub. I will be downloading some of the info over the next few weeks for my records, sell most of my GG holdings as I cannot track them on my own (with few exceptions). Making this decision was not difficult as I had planned for it more than 2 years ago.

I hope to keep seeing at least some of you at my other subscriptions (II, SA, HG, RBS and Odyssey). I suspect this will happen to HG also someday although it is a portfolio service. All of these services will be amalgated into MDP as I have a hunch that independently MDP, HG and GG are not doing very well.

Good luck to all!

Anurag
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
what a bummer. I'll definitely miss the ongoing coverage of so many GG stocks that I've invested real money in.

Will these message boards remain active beyond the summer, even if there are not TMF'ers working them? That would be an even bigger loss to me than the monthly newsletter.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Hi Anurag,

The real pity when any community-based service is retired, is the diffusion of that community.

I regard MDP as one of the most expansive services offered by The Fool. For most individuals, global investing is complementary; as indeed are small cap and fast-growth approaches. MDP, on the other hand, takes takes a holistic portfolio approach from the entire Fool universe.

Right now I own 8 of the companies between MDP's active portfolio and watchlist; more than any other Foolish service. In fact, MDP cover more of my companies than any other subscribe newsletter out there. Like yourself, I've been an avid Fool for many years and a serial subscriber of all investment advice -- for example, I was a subscriber to Tom Jacobs' newsletter before he returned to TMF to head up the Special Ops. Furthermore, I have a small business here in Ireland where I recommend to all individual investors that they sign up to either SA and MDP for specific stock advice and continual learning.

It's a pity we won't see you at MDP, but no doubt you'll be as active as ever at your other sevices. I'll be applying myself more actively on the RB boards, which is truthfully where I feel most comfortable.

It has been a great journey so far and I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank Nate, Nathan, Cog and fellow posters who have enriched, amused and educated me over the years. I'd like to echo your thanks to Nate, Nathan, their predecessors and all fellow GG Fools. With well over 5,000 post of your own and counting, your contribution has been remarkable, so thank you also!

See you on the boards.

Rgds,

Emmet
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi, mekong22.
The GG boards will go away when we close access to the site July 1, but we'll start a new board about international investing on the Fool's free website, fool.com. The board will be associated with Nathan's portfolio, which we'll tell you more about in our final issue on May 10. I hope you and you fellow members head over there -- this community is so wise together. Thank you for being a part of it
Fool on!
--Tracy
Hey Mekong

The plan is for the GG site to remain open until July 1. We recommend following Nathan and Nate’s continuing coverage on the boards until they receive our wrap-up report with the team’s final guidance on every Global Gains stock in the coming weeks.

Rgds,

Emmet
No. of Recommendations: 7
For what it's worth, Anurag, the MDP (as I am sure you know) was started at the worst possible time and made a horrible decision to buy a huge chunk of SPY rather than hold cash. Then the floor fell out from underneath us.

This all occurred well before Ron Gross was brought in to lead the service. It is my opinion that Ron has done a fantastic job righting the ship and positioning the portfolio for the future. As I type, the MDP has outperformed the S&P by 1.5% since inception which beats most mutual fund managers.

If I might make a suggestion, you feel you are better at managing your money than Ron. I can't argue; The Motley Fool has long espoused the idea that you are a better manager for your money than anyone else. However the question really is whether you can use the information contained within MDP to make yourself a better investor. Tom Engle, TMF1000, has often said that he loves the MDP because he can take their recommendations and writings and use them in his own manner to make himself a better investor.

I, too, do not follow MDP to the letter and in the 4.5 years since we started, I feel that the service has been an incredible boon to my methods and knowledge.

I hope you will take the opportunity to check us out for a while before coming to a conclusion; I think the MDP boasts a really great team and a pretty solid community (though admittedly things have quieted a little since Supernova opened). Of course, I am pretty biased in this opinion.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Jeremy, I've been hearing about the SPY decision for a long time, and I recognize that management has changed since then. I'm mostly interested in how they've done over the last few years.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I guess I'll learn more about this change later, but I don't see why this service has to be discontinued to make room for a real-money portfolio of international companies. Hidden Gems made the change a few years ago where the old and new are still all together. Doubtful this is the reason behind it, but this drastic move could be seen by some as an attempt to wipe the slate clean on over five years of recommendations that have not beaten the rest of the market.

With money still invested in 17 of the recommendations, I'm still a believer in the service and am interested in the next chapter, but see no good reason to shut it down only to launch a new one with the same international scope.

Time is our best advantage and we need more time for the Chinese small caps to regain favor in the market.

Walter
Hi, Walter, and thanks for posting.
I'd just like to clarify that returns had nothing to do with this decision. GG's average return of 10% across 135 recommendations has crushed the global MSCI EAFE benchmark over the same period.
I'm glad to hear that you're invested in some of GG's stocks; watch for your final report with Nathan and Nate's last-word guidance in the coming weeks. We hope you'll find it helpful.
Foolishly,
Tracy, your GG editor
No. of Recommendations: 3
kidchicago2,

I don't have that information right off-hand. I do recall that we were down about 50% at the worst of the market bottom, around Feb '09. The portfolio is now positive with a 2.3% gain so I can say the portfolio has doubled since then, but I think a lot of us have doubled, or better, since then.

I think the tragedy is not so much the money lost in SPY, but the money that wasn't, then, available when it would have been most useful.

Ron Gross is a pretty straight-shooter so as soon as you are able to access MDP, if you ask him the portfolio's returns since he took over, I wouldn't be too surprised if he had that information and would be willing to let you know. If he does not have that information handy, I am a huge spreadsheet geek and will see if I can throw a TWIRR spreadsheet together to find the value of the MDP when Ron was introduced.

I really hope all the GG Fools will give the MDP an honest shot, I am really excited with the progression the service has been on and I think the future is very bright for that portfolio.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy, I rec'd your post and may take you up on your offer.

The reality is that it's hard to distinguish good investors from bad in bull markets. Bear markets are where mettle is tested. Luckily, I think we're headed for one soon...
Walter,

I have no more information than you, but my guess is that the closing of GG has more to do with the ratio of subscriber-income to cost-to-run than it is to make room for a new portfio or to free up Nate's time for the new (free) portfolio.

My Spidey sense tells me that with the opening of all the fancy, new real-money portfolio services, there has been much more outflow than inflow in terms of subscribers to this service.

Just my 2¢

Cheers,
Jeremy
No. of Recommendations: 1
Just one last question, which y'all can answer on May 10th: Will Nate's new, free, service include commentary and coverage of stocks (earnings analysis, etc.) or will it just be a list of stocks he's investing Fool $$ in?

I have to say this is a really puzzling move. If you're going to do a real money portfolio, why not charge for access to it? I'm not aware of another Fool real-money portfolio that is not behind a paywall.
Walter

Time is our best advantage and we need more time for the Chinese small caps to regain favor in the market.

Couldn't have said it better myself, but as someone much smarter than myself once said, "The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."

I congratulate you on your patience with investments and want to reassure you that Nathan will continue the coverage of a select group of Global Gains shares for his real money portfolio.

I also own several of the stocks on the GG scorecard (and may buy more now that I have a chance to not talk about them all the time) so I may pop up in Nathan's new community to share thoughts on some of those.

Which reminds me, I owe kidchicago and a few others my thoughts on CMFO - I promise I'm getting to it.

I would also like to reassure you we aren't wiping the scorecard clean - the scorecard will be immortalized and available alongside Nathan's new real money portfolio.
Tracy,
Point taken. I quickly misread the scorecard. As you point out, the service has beaten the MSCI EAFE index.

Walter
kid

Nathan is currently sleeping (I hope) in Japan, and I'm sure he'll have better answers for you when he wakes up, but I'll say that I expect he'll provide discussion and coverage of the stocks in his portfolio as well as the stocks he's watching.

Given the nature of a real money portfolio, the stocks covered won't be as extensive as we've had at GG, but Nathan will be keeping an eye on where he's putting the money.
Sad, but also not surprised. TMF is moving toward more expensive/expansive services. HG might be next. Fortunately for me I have been recently moving my $ into SA, RB, and now Supernova stocks, so I'll only have a few GG picks left (CGA, YONG, BLX, and NBBTF.PK). of all these I'd most like to see ongoing coverage of NBBTF. Without, I might feel forced to sell. That's the downside of relying on others to do your homework for you. :(

@kidchicago2:
"I have to say this is a really puzzling move. If you're going to do a real money portfolio, why not charge for access to it? I'm not aware of another Fool real-money portfolio that is not behind a paywall."

What about 11 0'clock stocks, the rising star ports, or Jim Royal's " world's best dividend portfolio?" Seems like TMF is doing more of these real money ports recently.

Chasemarmot
Just one last question, which y'all can answer on May 10th: Will Nate's new, free, service include commentary and coverage of stocks (earnings analysis, etc.) or will it just be a list of stocks he's investing Fool $$ in?

Hi Kid,

It will primarily provide coverage of the stocks I am investing Fool money in and a watch list of companies I am bringing over at launch. Right now I'm at 12 companies on that watch list and my plan is to announce those companies on May 10th.

Any of the other companies might also come over to the portfolio at a later date. Company developments and the relative attractiveness of the valuation will have a lot to say in determining when/if a company comes into the portfolio.

Best,

Nathan