Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I think it would be easier to answer this question with a formula, as follows:

the taxable portion of your distribution is:
5,500 - 5,500* (5,500/(5,500 + 200,000)),

assuming the following:
5,500 amount contributed to IRA in Jan of 14 - the "Contribution"
5,500 - amount distributed to the Roth IRA in Jan of 14 - the distribution
200,000 - fair market value of IRA at end of 2014 - assumes 401k was rolled over to the IRA.

since the IRA contribution was immediately converted to a roth(and never deducted for tax purposes), it has a "basis" of $5,500, and therefore, in IRS speak, the portion of the distribution that had no basis is taxable.

You should look at IRS publication 590, worksheet 1-5(on page 44) of the following link:

It has a worksheet that gets to the same calculation as above

given these numbers, the portion that is taxable is $5,352 by my calculations.....

I used $5,500 for the amount contributed to the IRA because that is the maximum amount you can contribute for 2013(didn't check the amount for 2014)

Hope this makes sense
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.