No. of Recommendations: 14
goofnoff complains,

If Time wanted to do some homework, instead of using a wet behind the ears unpaid intern to do the research they would have discovered that private insurance works exactly the same way.

</snip>

That's exactly the point of the article. Obamacare leaves private insurers in charge of your healthcare. O'care was sold as a program that would prevent people from going bankrupt when they get sick (i.e., the $6,850 max annual out-of-pocket cost for singles, $13,700 for married.) But insurers, hospitals, and doctors are finding loopholes in the system and continuing to screw people.

I think Time Magazine did a great service in exposing this activity.

I noticed that the Administrator of Medicare & Medicaid Services (the Gov't bureaucrat that writes the Obamacare rules) has told the health care industry to clean up their act, or he'll write regulations that do it for them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/surprise-medical-bills-i...

Health insurance rules are arcane and filled with exceptions. The networks of providers covered by plans are constantly changing, and the directories of covered hospitals, doctors and the like that insurers offer are often inaccurate. The prices charged by physicians, hospitals, labs and others are all over the map and difficult to discern in advance. Medical providers themselves don't understand how insurance works, and usually no one is responsible for keeping track of who is doing what when a patient gets care.

The problem is especially acute nowadays, because insurance policies that don't cover any out-of-network care have become more common.

"Everybody in the chain is culpable, but they also -- in this wonderful system we have -- have the ability to point to each other and say, 'See? It's not my fault because it's the way the system works,'" said Andy Slavitt, the acting administrator of the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Slavitt's agency also oversees the Affordable Care Act's health insurance exchanges.

At the federal level, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services is pressuring the health care industry to find a way to free patients from these billing disputes -- and warning that government action may come if they don't, Slavitt said.

"The industry can solve this problem without our help, but with a lot of strong encouragement, and I think they would be wise to do that," Slavitt said. "I refuse to believe that this is as difficult as people say it is."

"You're going to be seeing me playing a very visible, public role trying to bring people to make progress on this issue on their own, and if they don't, we have regulatory tools," Slavitt said. "This is a personal passion of mine."

</snip>

intercst
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.