No. of Recommendations: 2
Goofy,

Normally with a radiant heat system, the heat source is installed low, like baseboard heaters of in-floor coils.

This allows the "floor" to be warm and have the warm air rise/circulate in the room.

Having the heat source higher will leave a cold zone at a level below the heat source unless something circulates the air.

I have been in buildings with gas ceramic IR heaters in the ceiling. While they do heat the space, anything (a sheet of paper for instance) in front of the IR source radically reduces the heat at the floor.

Having heat coils inside a floor above the target area will contribute an incredibly small amount of comfort to the room below it. Most of the heat will rise and be a low-energy source of heat in the room above.

If you have ever been in a house fire, you would understand thermal layering. A room can be 600 degrees at the ceiling while it is only 300 to 400 at floor level.

Anything you put inside a wall or ceiling will contribute only low-level heat to the space. If the heat provided inside the floor/wall is already at a low-level, well, I don't believe it will have a very noticeable affect on the room. You might feel a little warmth when touching the ceiling/wall with your hand, but beyond that, well ...

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.