Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1

{{Goofyhoofy: You are entitled to your opinions. I would say that you have not read to much on this board if you classify it as worst advice.}}

I've read quite a bit, thank you. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds.

That advice was the worst. Clear?

{{Or maybe you don't know the difference between good and bad.}}

Yes, that's entirely possible. My Schwab "value" funds did 30% last year. My stocks did 66%. My Dean Witter "value" funds did (aggregate of 4) minus 2%. For that I paid the handsome privilege of fees averaging 1.7%, plus "account fees" from the broker, plus "maintenance" fees from Dean Witter.

I'm just curious. Do you think I can't count?

I've been investing since 1958. My first account was with Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith.

Until quite recently, Dean Witter brokers were compensated on how much they could shovel into PROPRIETARY funds, and they are still bonused on that. The company has presented its brokers with an inherent conflict of interest, to the good of the company, to the detriment of the investor.

Any independent analysis of the Dean Witter funds shows them, category for category, to be in the middle of the pack. Can you find "a good one?" Sure. Overall? Mediocre.

I married into these funds, and I will be exiting within 12 months.

{{As my Finance teach once commented to the class about one of my comments. "Go ahead you can be stupid if you want too."}}

I fully understand why he would have said that to you.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.