No. of Recommendations: 10
From Macworld magazine

Go to www.maps.google.com

Click the Satellite link in the upper right hand corner

Enter your address

Slide the Zoom Bar all the way up

See your house from space in enough detail to be scarey!

SB

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Slide the Zoom Bar all the way up

Hey! Somebody left a large truck parked in my spot! And my tenants supposedly moved out a *long* time ago... so what's that doing there! At least the new roof is still on the building. Thanks for the link, this is a neat tool for us absentee landlords!
No. of Recommendations: 0
Cool.

Mapquest used to zoom in closer on my house when they had satellite photos, though.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 1
"Mapquest used to zoom in closer on my house when they had satellite photos, though."

Hi Peter,

http://terraserver.microsoft.com gives me a better picture of my house than Google does...

Regards, Ken
http://terraserver.microsoft.com gives me a better picture of my house than Google does...

That's more like it. Thank you.

Now I can make out the brick pattern in the driveway. And the fact that my wife's car wasn't home at the time the photo was snapped (OK - the image was captured).

--Peter <== imagining that the REALLY good photos are not available on the net. <grin>
If you guys really want to see a map, take a look at this:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_keyholenv_downloads.html

I've had the program for about a year, and it is wild!

cat
Depends on where you live.

Google missed me by a quarter mile, but I could still find my lot. So this image was at least 5 years old.

Terraserver is even "worse" as it didn't even show my development but did show the road leading to my development (otherwise just the snow filled forest that was there in April 1992). The topo map of the area is 1982, so my neck of the woods is not surveyed all that often it seems (which is just fine with me -- I'd love for ya to stop by, but call first -- OK :-)

glh
As near as I can tell, the Google satellite data is at least two years old and the Terraserver satellite data is at least 5 years old. Going by construction around my home.
RE: grid: "the Google satellite data is at least two years old and the Terraserver satellite data is at least 5 years old."

Good enough for me, for free anyway.

Then again, the remaining original part of my house is nearly 80 years old and the building my business is located in is 98.

SB (and not much new construction anywhere near either)

Yeah, but the interface is so much worse on terraserver. Trying to zoom in was atrocious.

And, Google's is nice because it's tied into the maps/local businesses interface.

dsbrady
"As near as I can tell, the Google satellite data is at least two years old and the Terraserver satellite data is at least 5 years old. Going by construction around my home."

The satellite data from TerraServer for my location is from 2004. The arial photo from 1993.

Regards, Ken
"As near as I can tell, the Google satellite data is at least two years old and the Terraserver satellite data is at least 5 years old. Going by construction around my home."

The satellite data from TerraServer for my location is from 2004. The arial photo from 1993.

Regards, Ken

===========================

So this means its missing 95% of all the Starbucks??? (gasp)

Diane
When I looked, they were the exact same pictures dates October 2002.

Terra Server had a deeper level of zoom, but less resolution. Google had a much higher level of resolution, but couldn't zoom as close.

On the Terra Server picture, I could make out a 1/2 meter feature in my yard, but not in the Google picture.

Don't know how or why, but you can see my car parked out front on a Wednesday afternoon...

SSBB
Keyhole NV is dated 2003, with areas that are being updated all the time.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_keyholenv_downloads.html

cat
Keyhole NV is dated 2003, with areas that are being updated all the time.

Keyhole was purchased by Google a while back. I believe Google's sattelite images are using the same info as Keyhole's software now uses.

dsbrady
"I believe Google's sattelite images are using the same info as Keyhole's software now uses."

Keyhole's much clearer and I can zoom in closer than I can with Google's.

Neither one is up to date on all images. For example, the house next door was built in 2003, and it doesn't show yet.

~aj
Yikes!!

If you scroll across to europe, there's the UK, but NOTHING ELSE!!!

Does google have a scheme to totally get rid of the other continents?? Will this solve the EU crisis?

What evil lurks? I think we've seen an accidental glimpse of where they're heading.
No. of Recommendations: 2
RE: o4: "If you scroll across to europe, there's the UK, but NOTHING ELSE!!!"

They could at least draw dragons and monsters over the edge like mapmakers used to when the world was flat.

SB
No. of Recommendations: 4
"If you scroll across to europe, there's the UK, but NOTHING ELSE!"

Google's got it right.

~aj

No. of Recommendations: 3
. . . . like mapmakers used to when the world was flat.

Hi Steve,

Guess you're NOT a Member of "The Flat Earth Society" - - - do you REALLY believe those pics (earlier posts) from what is supposed to be "Space" !

ALL a "figment of imagination" from MSFT and GOOG to get you suckers to look at their sites - - - computers can DO ANYTHING !

DON'T BE FOOLED - - - I went to sea for many, many years and the horizon NEVER disappeared !

Therefore the World HAS TO BE FLAT !

Sheridan

(Guess it's time for the guys in the white coats to tighten my jacket for the night again, it's almost 9.40 p.m. here - - N.E. in the U.K. and the Sunset hasn't even begun) !
RE: silco: "Therefore the World HAS TO BE FLAT !"

I have no problem with that concept.

We used to have a saying about how good a used car was that went, "You could drive it to the edge of the earth, shut it off, "pee" off the edge, start it up, and drive home again."

DISCLAIMER: Kids, don't try this in just any old car.

SB (352 Fords and Chevy 6's were reknowned for being reliable in this regard)
It is impressive; however, our house is half hidden by some big trees so it is not all that clear, but 5 of 7 houses on the block are clear.

I can also tell a date before which the picture was taken because our neighbors first built a 2 story addition to the back of their house and two years ago added a second story to the main house. The picture shows the two story addition but not the second story to the house. Neat.

brucedoe
I'm still not in an area that has any detail yet.
By the time they get around to it I will have completed my camouflaged roof pattern and finished the underground stuff. :-)

I wonder if they are doing IR too?

That could be a problem.

CB

See, that's why I like living in the country. At the highest zoom, it doesn't have maps to cover my house. If I zoom out the map enough to see my house, the only landmark I can recognize is the airport. :)

RkeFool--Loving that country living