Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Not strictly a stupid computer question but...

You know how, when you’re using the Google Maps program on a cell phone and you have a destination set, it updates every few seconds showing where you’re at and the surrounding area? Is there any way to have it display the same thing but without having a destination set?

IOW, I would like it to show where I am and show the streets and intersections where I am currently driving.

Or would a separate app be needed?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
DoLoop,

I use WAZE for that... the advantage is that it shows additional information like construction, police, etc. You don't have to contribute but can if you choose. Fully voice activated.

Only 2 caveats. You will have to have your phone plugged in and when I use it my phone gets pretty hot.

HereIGo
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks HereIGo, I’ll give that a try.
I would like it to show where I am and show the streets and intersections where I am currently driving.

Just don't set a destination and Google maps will follow you as you drive, showing the streets and intersections around you.

If the bottom part of the screen is covered with the "Explore Nearby" screen you can just move it down and out of the way.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Open Google maps (or apple maps). Do NOT input a destination.
It'll show you your location relative to the surrounding streets. You may want to zoom in or out, to see a different scale.

In the bottom right corner is a circle with a dot... Sort of a compass image... Tap that, and it'll zoom to your location.

As you move, the location icon (blue dot, for me) will also move showing you the change in your location relative to the surrounding streets, shops, etc.

HTH
🙂
ralph
I use WAZE for that... 

I used Waze for a little while but my Galaxy S7 would overheat and shut down. I was concerned that I might damage it so I went back to Google maps.
Well, I have tried using the Maps app and it does show my current location when I start the app. But it does not update as I’m moving along. Are you saying that yours does this automatically?
Yes. My location icon moves as I move.

You might update your maps app? Or reinstall it?

A couple years ago, my location would "stall" and then "jump" to the present location, "stall, jump, stall, jump, etc". That was annoying. But, I could tap it to get it "jump on demand" 🙂. During that time, I used Apple Maps, and Waze.

Waze was "fun"... But, I was trying to use it, and to input information, which was, like dialing the phone while driving, dangerous!

When I upgraded my phone, and got rid of the iPad, I didn't put Waze on the new phone.

🙂
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am a fan of Ulmon "CityMaps2Go." There's a free version and a pay version. For some reason, I have the free one but also went for the pay version - I think because of extra info provided for our destinations like walking tours and restaurants and museums, etc.

IIRC, you DL maps for offline use (say from your hotel with WiFi if traveling), and then even in Airplane Mode you can walk (or drive) around and get a real time map and location.

I've used it on trips to Italy, GB and Eastern Europe. Helped us out on walks around Rome and Edinburgh, among others, while in said Airplane Mode - no additional charges.

I also use it in the States and works fine here too - even in NYC.

Good luck.

Ken
Rumor has it that Waze was a reason our once sleepy Brooklyn streets have become seriously traffic congested, sending traffic to our area just because it wasn't so congested and hastening the "discovery" of those streets.

I just think there are too many people and too many cars on NYC streets.

Ken
I just think there are too many people and too many cars on NYC streets.

For sure.

I have tried to drive in Brooklyn only twice. I have a Garmin GPS nuvi 68, but the first trip from where I live in New Jersey took me to the Garden State Parkway, then to the New Jersey Turnpike, then to 278E over the Goethals Bridge go Staten Island, then over the Triborough Bridge to Brooklyn. I then had to take the Brooklyn Queens Expressway and it just stopped. Stop and go. Once I got up to 8 miles per hour. But mostly stopped. I finally got to my destination, but that was useless, since I was two hours late. Three hours for what Google Maps should take an hour and 16 minutes. This for less than 50 miles.

Another time, I had to go somewhere else in Brooklyn (944 Bedford Avenue). Here, It took well over two hours when Google Maps suggests 1 hour and 29 minutes. I am talking about less than 52 miles.
I'm another Waze user, have not had the heat issue described by others on my Motorola g5. It does tend to drain the battery on long trips if not plugged in. I generally use it on any trip over a few miles, even if I know the route because it has FREQUENTLY saved me from getting into traffic jams by choosing alternate routes; it also alerts you to road hazards, accidents, and police ahead.

One other feature I love is after setting your primary destination, you can look for a "secondary" destination, say "bank". (Or in my wife's case, "Starbucks") It will then present a list of banks showing not only the distance away, but also the "minutes off route" from your primary destination.

Ralph
Here, It took well over two hours when Google Maps suggests 1 hour and 29 minutes. I am talking about less than 52 miles.

There are features missing from the app that are available on their web version on a PC. When planning a trip I find it useful to check the route ahead of time using Google Maps/PC/browser. One of the features it has that the app lacks is telling it when I will be traveling, so that the travel times can be adjusted. I recently had to drive from CT to Long Island, which means through NYC, and depending on when I was traveling it could vary by well over an hour, and it gave me ranges of time based on how it can vary. I ended up leaving at 4:30 AM, arriving at 6:15.
Can we clarify a couple of things?

Are you using an Android phone or an Apple iOS phone?
Are you using the Google Maps app, or looking at maps.google.com in a web browser?
Are you using the cell phone's data connection while looking at the map or are you tethered to some other device or wifi hotspot?

--Peter
Peter:

It’s an Android phone - Samsung S8
Using the Google Maps app.
Using the cell phone’s data connection.

I’m driving a rental car and when using the app I keep the phone’s power cable connected.

Like I said, if I have a destination specified, it all works just fine. But there are times when I’d like it to work without having a destination set.
It’s an Android phone - Samsung S8
Using the Google Maps app.
Using the cell phone’s data connection.

Thanks. That helps eliminate a bunch of things.

Unfortunately, it also eliminates pretty much everything I know about, so I can't be any help. But maybe the additional info will help people smarter than me come up with some ideas.

--Peter