Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Repubs say states do not have authority to ignore Federal immigration laws.

Guns? Oh, that's different, say the Repubs.

A county in Michigan is trying this too. Can't have other states be friendlier to gun crazies than Michigan.

Why GOP-Led States Are Banning the Police From Enforcing Federal Gun Laws

Missouri has become the latest state to throw down a broad challenge to the enforcement of federal firearms laws, as Republican-controlled state legislatures intensify their fierce political counterattack

At least eight other states — Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia — have taken similar action this year, passing laws of varying strength that discourage or prohibit the enforcement of federal gun statutes by state and local agents and officers.

There would be no change to the federal requirement for background checks before buying guns from licensed firearms dealers, they said, and local police officers could still aid in federal gun law enforcement operations as long as the person being targeted was also violating a state law.

https://news.yahoo.com/why-gop-led-states-banning-183324918....

Steve
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Steve,

Don't worry as this is the same bunch of screwballs that don't believe in vaccines. So with the new more contagious and deadly variant now in the US it is only a matter of time before Darwinism takes effect.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Don't worry as this is the same bunch of screwballs that don't believe in vaccines. So with the new more contagious and deadly variant now in the US it is only a matter of time before Darwinism takes effect.

Meanwhile: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/us-politicians-fume-ov...

cbc.ca

U.S. politicians fume over Canada's extended border restrictions

Alexander Panetta 10 hrs ago

American politicians who are normally friendly to Canada are fuming over news that the border will remain closed to non-essential travel for at least another month.

Now, politicians from both U.S. parties are pressing President Joe Biden to just move ahead unilaterally — and fling open America's border to Canadian travel.

Of course that isn't going to work if those Canadian tourists shop their brains out then return to face a couple weeks of quarantine?

Trudeau is not sharing his thoughts as to why another month of closed border but we are probably facing an election in a matter of months and he doesn't want to give the opposition Cons anything to beat him with this close to getting us through this damn mess? Of course he may also be hoping Canadians spend money at home rather than south of the border?

Wife and I are one week into our post second COVID-19 shot but are invited to a picnic at a very exclusive club (the Wag) for Father's day tomorrow. Clearly a mostly masking event though we are currently allowed up to 10 people together (we have a patio table) and we will be 8 including my two granddaughters.

Watching a clip on CNN about the Western US 20 year drought, a cattle rancher interviewed paints a bleak picture if this continues one more year.

Tim

Meanwhile:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tropical-storm-claudett...

U.S. NEWS
Tropical Storm Claudette forms along Gulf Coast, bringing heavy rain and floods

Flooding had already begun in the area overnight Friday into Saturday, with local reports of high water over roads and stranded vehicles.
Say what you will about about Canadians, and we probably will, they, Canada, has done have done a better job of handling the virus. Their approach seems to be calmer and more reasonable than the US.

My Canadian grandmother was the coolest and even liked my hippie friends.

Walt
Watching a clip on CNN about the Western US 20 year drought, a cattle rancher interviewed paints a bleak picture if this continues one more year.

Farmers are the worst complainers ever invented. Every year is either too wet or too dry, too hot or too cold. They always cry about some big percentage of their crop lost due to weather, but if they suffered zero loss, they would cry about the market being flooded with product and prices below the cost of production.

The weather guys on the local TV stations have been crying about how far below normal precipitation has been in Michigan this year. Car show on at a museum near Kalamazoo today: been bucketing down there since I got up at 7:30 this morning. Another show on in metro Detroit today. That rain is headed this way. Car shows on next Saturday and Sunday. Rain forecast both days.

Steve
No. of Recommendations: 1
Their approach seems to be calmer and more reasonable than the US.

I would go with science based with a lot less politics?

We had problems early when some of our vaccination orders didn't arrive or arrived with far fewer doses than expected. One large order from the US was cancelled completely due to Americans first policy. Some of the early products had special freezer requirements that were impossible to meet particularly in our more isolated first nations and Inuit communities. Later it turned out the requirements were far in excess of what was needed.

Where some of our provinces (including my own Nova Scotia) excelled was in ordering lock downs and actually having most people follow them. Those that broke them the homeowner paid at first $1000 fines later doubled then doubled again. The university parties would collect donations to pay for the fine of the homeowner so we switched to fining everyone there ... party over.

One restaurant owner who insisted on staying open had his business shut down with a lock on the door. The rest got the message.

Generally Canadians do mostly trust our governments. Our Feds threw money at just about anyone who could fog a mirror. I was surprised when wife and I got an extra $300 show up in our accounts that usually get our pension payments. Took some research to discover that everyone receiving OAS got the cash regardless of need and it was tax free. Those that lost jobs and a whole lot of business that couldn't open had lots of cash tossed their way.

I must confess that at a time when it is hard to spend money we probably have a year or more of living expenses sitting in 0 interest bank accounts. That is after stuffing the limit into our Tax Free investment accounts.

A few of our provinces were a little aggressive at opening too soon then had to shut down at a high price in people in hospitals or morgues. Quebec learned early and stopped, Ontario (our largest province by population) kept trying and Alberta (North Dakota North) where still trying to run their big rodeo but gave up and now have 3 $1 million lottery prizes for people that get vaccinated. No need for that in Nova Scotia, when new bookings become available online they are mobbed!

Overall nationally our 26 thousand + deaths for the size of our population is bad but statistically better than a lot of other countries have done and we are currently racing to the end point with massive increase in vaccination rates. Nova Scotia lost 90 to deaths, the vast majority in a very large nursing home early in the pandemic.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/bda759474...

https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/data/

Good health to us all.

Tim