Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
GorillaGorilla,

............6/99....9/99....12/99....2/00.....6/00
Oracle.......44......31......49.......49......113

............6/99....9/99....12/99....3/00.....6/00
Siebel......110......126.....170.....190.......???

Do we agree that providing Oracle keeps this pace then Siebel will no longer be a Gorilla or do we think that Oracle has been to liberal as what counts towards CRM?

No, I don't agree. First, I don't believe Oracle's numbers. Second, look at the trend even if you do believe them. 6/00 licensing is up 157% compared to the same quarter of the previous year. On a base of much, much higher numbers, Siebel's is up about 80% if I remember correctly.

If Oracle doubles revenue a year from now, their 6/01 licensing revenue will be $226 million. If Siebel only grows only 50% in the next twelve months, their 6/01 licensing revenue will be about $300 million. If they continue to grow 80%, it will be more than $350 million.

The best anecdotal evidence I can come up with that Oracle will never unseat Siebel is that Larry Ellison is no longer saying when the company will surpass Siebel, having been proven wrong every single time in his many past prognostications. But maybe he'll give me a good laugh and start ranting again about it.

--Mike Buckley

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.