Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I got a question, I doubt anyone else will answer. I see a lot of crap on here about what happens to a kid when they are handed a trophy for finishing dead last without even considering another scenario that takes place. The kid who is asked to give up the trophy, who could have easily won it, so another kid can win (and does it so they can be a team player). The kid who was the better pitcher and benched because the coach wanted his kid to pitch. The kid who is the better dancer who willingly gives up the center of attention so the dance instructor's daughter can have it. The parent who is naive to this bs, but after seeing it, decides their kid's worth to them isn't whether or not they brought home the trophy, whether they deserved it or not. I'll tell you what happens. A bunch of freaking bullies think they are smarter, faster, and know how the world really works. Maybe the latter, but sure as hell not the two former.

I remember I once shared that a track coach asked my daughter to lose a race so that an girl who was trying to get into Swarthmore would win, because scouts were in the crowd. And my daughter did it.

The reply and I will never forget this until the day I die was, "the coach was telling your daughter she was a loser"

Words hurt. Sticks and stones may not break your bones, but the vitriol being spewed by both parties is just putting the bullies in charge.

I have had it.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.